C&C: test shots with Oly SP-550UZ/PT-037

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jigo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. i just started taking shots with the oly sp-550uz in the pt-037 housing. No strobes. no wet lenses. using pre-set modes instead of manual and saving in jpg.

My problem is with the wide angle shots using the underwater wide angle 1 setting. I notice that captured in the picture seems to be the reflection of the lens' edge on the inside of the port. you can see it in the middle or the top portion of the pic or the left side when camera was tilted. How do i get rid of it? any tips on how to improve the color will also be appreaciated. I dont have photoshop so am hoping any tweaking can be done with the camera before shot has been made. I havent read the manual yet since the one that came with the camera is in Japanese so am still looking for one in English. I also havent tried my hand using manual settings.

P8190178.jpg

P8180056.jpg

this problem does not occur with the underwater macro mode although i will also welcome any tips on how to improve. the second pic was taken with a lot of silt kicked up by other divers.

P9010089.jpg

P9010271.jpg

wide angle shots were taken in Camiguin while the macro were from Anilao.
Thank you all.

i will get a pair of strobes...eventually. will strobes solve the problem of the lens reflection? thanks!

nice nudi and lion - as you can see, without strobes, if you get close, the internal flash does a good job - wider angle or further away is more of a problem.

i see the mark/lines/reflection you are referring to on #2 - I have seen that on some of my photos where ive tried to use the wet WA lens - so hopefully someone will chip in and give some pointers or how to avoid it - using strobes will provide more light, so maybe that mark/reflection or whatever it is will become less apparent.

thanks. i tried zooming in a little last weekend and got rid of the reflection. but what if i want full wide angle without strobes to get the blues? can the reflection be removed with photoshop?

You can remove just about anything in PS, using either the clone tool (Rubber Stamp) or the Healing Brush (BandAid). When you get a strobe, you should be able to block the built in flash to avoid the reflection.

The reflection maybe due to the light from the internal flash bleeding into the lense port area (from the back of the port). If you notice that the reflection is located at the top of the horizontal photo and on the left side of the vert. photo next to the flash.

There should be a very tight "light" seal at the black rubber shroud shielding the housing lense port to keep any stray light out, the only light coming in should only be from the front of the port. May want to try some black electrical tape to seal off the stray light.

Zooming in extends the lens deeper into the lens port, most likely helping to block the stray light coming from the rear.

Jigo, you can download the Manual in ingles over here...http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/SP-550UZ%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

I'm guessing from the photo below (haven't seen the housing) that the reflection is caused by the internal strobe reflecting off that silver ring around lens... Yes you could fix it with photoshop, but it would be nicer if you can remedy the problem and have to avoid touching it up everytime in photoshop...

sup_1289.jpg

I'm guessing from the photo below (haven't seen the housing) that the reflection is caused by the internal strobe reflecting off that silver ring around lens... Yes you could fix it with photoshop, but it would be nicer if you can remedy the problem and have to avoid touching it up everytime in photoshop...

Good point this is the reason most "pro" cameras are all black, to cut down on the reflection. May need to experiment and cover the silver ring with black tape or remove the ring if possible and the spray paint it flat black.

thanks for the response everyone. spray painting my new toy is not exactly an option for me. will explore ways to block that light from within the housing. the old cam's housing did have this this black rubber ring that blocks the light.
how could oly have allowed this? didnt they test the darn thing?

thanks for the link to the manual in english Pak!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom