C-8080:Bad auto focus in low light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jean yves

Reaction score
I would like to hear some experience from all the C-8080 owner.
Planning to buy C-8080 and the waterproof housing.I'd read many reviews about it bad auto focus in low light!How bad it is?Is it really bad?
Thanks!

hi, I have been using the 8080 with the oly housing, there is no problem with low light focusing most of the time. In the red sea a couple of weeks ago focusing was accurate and quick and I got a lot of superb photos, I used it a few weeks ago here in north scotland and got a lot of sharp photos, in low light conditions where the iso rating was 400 and the shutter speed 1/30th at f2.4 that should give you an idea of how gloomy it was. the only focusing difficulty came at 25m trying to catch a group of pipefish in some seaweed, it was a grey/brown low contrast scene, at f8 the exposure needed 1 second, thats how dull the light was...it just wouldnt lock on, it was very frustrating....but the answer is a small spotting torch (a bit tricky to handle together) to increase the light and contrast and then autofocus will bite on no problem...I can only compare the oly8080 to a canon a75 that I took the photos on my page with...it is much faster and produces accurately focused photos in all but seriouly low light conditions when trying to get close ups...the canon had no chance even in reasonable light when getting close, it used to be out of focus very often, the oly is much much better, and the image quality is awesome... the only downside is the housing is large, it is no longer just a matter of slipping a little housing into my pocket....
I wouldnt buy the oly now if I had the choice, I would look at a fuji f810 of f10 simply becasue they are a lot smaller and I have heard they have almost immeadiate response and decent focusing....but the oly is awesome out of the water
I just put some oly8080 pics on my gallery, i was glad i had it when the manta slid in...

I second what Anthony has to say. I was not able to focus on this little guy very easily on a dawn dive in low light without the help of my dive light. Otherwise, the autofocus performs better than my C-5050 did.

05-04-29dr061.jpg

jean yves:
I would like to hear some experience from all the C-8080 owner.
Planning to buy C-8080 and the waterproof housing.I'd read many reviews about it bad auto focus in low light!How bad it is?Is it really bad?
Thanks!
I took these photos last month in the BVI on a night dive. There is a lot of backskatter, but the water was FILLED with stuff. There weren't a lot of fish out, so I had to "settle" for a bunch of reef shots. The first picture was shot with no assist and it took quite some time to focus. The second was taken with a small, 4AA flashlight and it cut the focus time by more than half. With the flashlight, the delay was no problem at all. During the day, I didn't notice any problems, even around 75' at the bow of the Rhone.

The 8080 is my first UW camera and I have had no problems (except user errors!). One more thing, many people have questioned the need for 8 mp. I have found it really gives you a lot of room as far as cropping is concerned. I can severly crop a photo, zoom, and still have a clear image. For a beginner, that is a "good thing".

BVI-night_3-small.jpg

BVI-night_2-small.jpg

hey gang,

i just got my 8080...still waiting to buy the oly-pt-023 housing....

nevertheless, it has taken GREAT land pics...

was wondering for the other 8080 owners...
when you dive, do you have the flash open all the time?? meaning, is it popped open? i would think so for the oly housings, but not needed for the ike users....

also, would you recommend a spare battery? how long does a fully charged one last?? would it last for a 2-tank dive?? using the lcd, video mode, flash and all??

much appreciated...

ps> just how "BIG" are the housings??? i am fearful of a monster housing coming my way! lol...

take care, all..

happy mother's day, moms

-dan

I definately suggest you look at Ikelite's housing for this camera if you plan on adding an external flash. Ikelite conversion circuitry for Olympus TTL works like a charm, and the dome port conversion for this housing is a much nicer solution than the Olympus flat port...

deputydan1:
hey gang,

i just got my 8080...still waiting to buy the oly-pt-023 housing....

nevertheless, it has taken GREAT land pics...

was wondering for the other 8080 owners...
when you dive, do you have the flash open all the time?? meaning, is it popped open? i would think so for the oly housings, but not needed for the ike users....

also, would you recommend a spare battery? how long does a fully charged one last?? would it last for a 2-tank dive?? using the lcd, video mode, flash and all??

much appreciated...

ps> just how "BIG" are the housings??? i am fearful of a monster housing coming my way! lol...

take care, all..

happy mother's day, moms

-dan

thanks for the advice..

but i think i will have to wait on a strobe for a while....and thus the oly pt23 housing would allow the internal flash.....

just wondering on the battery life...

thanks again,
-dan

Dan, I have now taken the C-8080 on a couple of two dive days and had no problem with battery life. I was able to take pictures with the LCD screen on all the time for two dives, each of which lasted more than one hour.

thanks, nick~

do you have the flash open the whole time??

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom