BZE to San Pedro- By Ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bnelsonpublic

Registered
Reaction score
Any one actually take the Ferry option from Belize Internation Airport to San Pedro? Heard you have to take a cab to the city, then the ferry.

There are just two of us. How much does it cost, and more importantly, how long does it take from start to finish (pain factor)?

Thanks,

You have to take a taxi first to the waterfront in Belize City. I'm not sure of the cost, but it's not trivial - I believe of the order of US$50. Then you're faced with deciding which ferry to go for, as there are several and they all leave from widely-separated places. The ferries themselves are infrequent and the last one of the day is quite early. The journey will take up to 1 1/2 hours.

For me there's no contest - I'd fly. I'd fly from the International Airport, because the saving in flying from the Municipal Airstrip in Belize City is countered by the same taxi fare and the considerable delay. There is also the point that if you book your puddle-jumper flight in advance and your incoming flight is seriously delayed, Tropic (at any rate) will still get you out to San Pedro that day even if it's very late. The alternative is to have to find an hotel somewhere on the mainland and lose a day of your holiday.

Last summer, my wife and I had to take a cab from the airport to our hotel in the Ft George area, very near the water. The total cost at that time was $25 USD, plus tip. Given the ever rising price of gas, it may very well cost more now.

Still, I agree with Peter. Fly to SP from BZE. Faster, easier and in the long run probably about the same amount of $.

I think the $50 ferry ride is round trip isn't it? The flights are over double the ferry ride - that's another dive or two so if you're on a budget, take the ferry. Though the flights are significantly faster and less choppy - take your dramamine if you hop the ferry.

I took the ferry last time, we flew back even though we had a free return trip. Last year it was $25 from the airport to either the municipal airport or the ferry. We came in on a sunday and downtown was mostly closed. We had just missed the ferry so we had some time to kill. Pale skin Americans get hassled a lot by the local beggars. We ended up taking shelter inside the ferry terminal as it seems they kept control of the situation. The ride wasn't bad, but after flying on maya island air for an inland excursion we were sold. Plus cash goes a long way with those folks. Its a gamble overall, either you pay the hotel to arrange your flights and have a known way to get there at a higher rate, or show up and get a much lower rate but possible full flights.

Back
Top Bottom