Bystanders resuscitate unconscious diver - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The story mentions this happening on Wednesday. It is currently 12:54 PM, Wednesday, January 2, 2013 (EST) NSW so I guess this happened about 4 hours ago...

From Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
A SCUBA diver is lucky to be alive after members of the public performed CPR on him after he was pulled from the water on the NSW south coast. The man, aged in his 60s, was diving at Kiama when he got into difficulty about 8.45am (AEDT) on Wednesday.
Another diver pulled him from the water unconscious and on to an isolated area of the shoreline where he was revived.
A spokesman for the Ambulance Service of NSW said paramedics arrived within seven minutes.
"He was lucky to have someone near him that knew CPR," the spokesman told AAP.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 09:24 PM ----------

More info now available: Stranger with CPR skills saves diver's life | thetelegraph.com.au
A DIVER'S life was saved by a bystander after being pulled from the water unconscious about 8.45am yesterday. The man, in his 60s, was pulled on to rocks by his diving partner who then called out for help at Storm Bay near the Kiama Blowhole.
"Someone's gone down very quickly from the crowd and commenced chest compressions," the spokesman said. "This bystander has absolutely saved this man's life."
Within minutes an off-duty paramedic was on the scene before other paramedics on duty arrived.
The spokesman said the person who revived the man left the scene before he could be thanked.
"The off-duty paramedic told him to hang around but said words to the effect that 'if you're going to leave you should know that you have absolutely saved this man's life today'," he said.

It is believed the two divers were in a "dangerous part of the ocean".
"This highlights how important it is for members of the public to know CPR and first aid," the spokesman said. "This man is alive because a member of the public had these skills."
The revived man was taken to Wollongong Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 11:21 PM ----------

See pic at link: Blowhole diver lucky to be alive: rescuer | Illawarra Mercury
A spear fisherman is lucky to be alive after an extraordinary chain of events led to his rescue near Kiama Blowhole yesterday morning.
One of his rescuers, who yesterday gave an account of the dramatic ocean rescue, said the man "wasn't meant to die today".
The man, in his 60s and believed to be from out of town, was fishing at Storm Bay about 8.30am when his diving partner noticed him motionless in the water.
Update on man's condition
Kiama council lifeguard co-ordinator Jamie Caldwell, who was among the first on the scene, commended the man's friend, as well as two good Samaritans for saving the man's life.
"The way it all panned out, he is one lucky man," Mr Caldwell said.
"[The divers] were separated, about five to 10 metres away from each other when his mate decided he might just go back and check.
"He noticed [the other man] wasn't moving so he grabbed him to get a response.
"He rolled him over, saw the colour of his face and thought this isn't good. That's when he grabbed him and started powering towards the shoreline."
Nearby, two men - Camden holidaymaker John Hexton and Kiama lifesaver John Collie - were out for separate morning walks when they both heard the man's friend calling for help at the shore.
Mr Hexton scrambled down the rocks and helped to pull the unconscious man out of the water.
"I didn't even think about it," he said.
"I have CPR training through work so I just knew I had to go.
"I think you just click into gear, so I just concentrated on getting him out and trying to look after him."
Mr Collie, an experienced surf lifesaver, arrived moments later.
"Within a few seconds of the other guy doing some chest presses [the diver] was bringing up a lot of blood, so I said we needed to get him on his side and clear his airways," Mr Collie said.
"Slowly but surely the man's face changed from blue to pink."
Mr Caldwell then arrived, along with an off-duty paramedic who happened to be at the beach with his children.
Ambulance crews then took over and the spear fisherman was assessed by a doctor from the rescue helicopter before being taken by road to Wollongong Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
Mr Caldwell said he could not believe the lucky chain of events.
"The flow of everything - the fact his mate checked on him when he did, then for two people very close by that knew resuscitation - he was a very lucky man," Mr Caldwell said.
"It was good to see such a great effort and a positive outcome.
"This guy wasn't meant to die today."

Back
Top Bottom