BVI or Grenadines????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue-ba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for some advice...........

My family of seven, all certified divers of varying level of expertise have a chartered sailing yacht booked for a one week trip in July of ‘06 in the BVI. We have arranged to dive 2-3 dives in the morning, explore, relax and sail the rest of the day.

We have heard from our yacht broker that the Captain of the boat would like to change our itinerary to the Grenadines. He would hold his cost but our airfare would go up about $1,500 plus we would need to arrange an extra day of travel to get there.

I was pretty settled in the thought of diving and lounging around the week in BVI. I guess my question is; Is this an overall bonus opportunity for us or should we look for another boat.

Your thoughts?????

Good Diving,

Sue

Has the captain given you any reason for the change? It doesn't seem that you should have to pay extra for their convenience, if you have a standing arrangement, unless you get some tangible benefit in the process. While I have friends who have chartered bareboats in the Grenadines, I do not know anyone who has dived there, and can give you no insight as to the diving. I am sure others on the board can. If they say the diving is divine, it might be worthwhile.

I have dived in the BVIs, as stated elsewhere on the board, and enjoyed the diving. The Rhone of course is a classic dive, and overall diving tends to be of modest depth with mild currents. There is decent vis, occasional caverns and overhangs (north side), the expected reefs, and wrecks (including the Chikuzen, which I haven't dived, and an airplane fuselage, which I have) but no holes, big walls, or in my limited experience, big animals. The Baths makes for a nice shore excursion.

What type of diving is the group, on the whole, interested in? Tell us about the boat as well.

I have been to both the Grenadines and the BVI, both times on a bare boat charter, but I did a couple of dives on both trips. I would have to say that the Grenadines were IMHO much better, however, when I was in the BVI hurricane Mitch was going on (not in the immediate vicinity, but it did give us some unpredictable weather) and I don't know how much that affected the visibility. The diving in the Grenadines had the best visibility I have experienced to date, and that's where I learned to dive. So maybe it was just so vivid because I was new, I'm not sure, but I have been hoping to go back someday. Anyway, that's my .02. I hope you have a great trip, wherever you end up going. :)

Sue-ba:
Looking for some advice...........

My family of seven, all certified divers of varying level of expertise have a chartered sailing yacht booked for a one week trip in July of ‘06 in the BVI. We have arranged to dive 2-3 dives in the morning, explore, relax and sail the rest of the day.

We have heard from our yacht broker that the Captain of the boat would like to change our itinerary to the Grenadines. He would hold his cost but our airfare would go up about $1,500 plus we would need to arrange an extra day of travel to get there.

I was pretty settled in the thought of diving and lounging around the week in BVI. I guess my question is; Is this an overall bonus opportunity for us or should we look for another boat.

Your thoughts?????

Good Diving,

Sue
------------
Sue, I too am curious as to the decision for change... I'm going on a catamaran with my fiance and some friends in late January to the BVI. We're really looking forward to it, but I wonder if something else is up (overcrowding?)... who knows.

Thanks,
Greg

Maybe the prior week's charter wanted to do the Grenadines, and he's trying to be efficient.

I haven't dived either place, but I've done a charter in both. The BVI tends to have calmer water, because the islands create a central channel which is fairly sheltered. The Grenadines, on the other hand, are a loosely spaced chain of islands running north and south, and you get a lot more wave action there (riding in the bowsprit was like being on a fabulous roller coaster ride!) The islands in the Grenadines are often less developed, so there is less to do on shore -- but a visit to the model boat builders in Bequia is a great stop, as is having drinks on the patio on Petit St. Vincent.

We certainly had some fabulous snorkeling in the Grenadines. I don't think you'd have a bad trip going down there unless you really wanted night life off the boat.

Have'nt done the Grenadines but have dove the BVI's on a bareboat. Loved it. Good Diving, Good sailing, Cheap rum. Absolute Heaven. Might want to check what the air supply arrangements are in the Greenadines. In the BVI's they would send a boat out every day to trade tanks.

Trade tanks... ahh, that does make sense. I've been told recently we will be doing about 3-4 dives over the 5 days (not many, but heck, it's a sailing venture). Anyway, the day prior, we're staying in St. Thomas in the USVI... anywhere of value to dive there that people can comment on - say I only have 3 hours to get away to do so? :)
Thanks,
Greg

I have to say that Tortola, Norman Island, Peter Island, that entire Pillsbury Sound is my favorite place in the world. I know the diving is better in some other places but there is just nowhere that has a better overall score in my opinion. I think the reason is there are no "junket" tourists pouring in. (Most fly into St Thomas or PR and then you have to make some effort to ferry over to Rhodetown, etc.) Anyway, there is a level of casual sophistication there as far as food, boutiques etc that is hard to find in some other very excellent dive locales.
I lived down there for eight years in the 80's and just returned last year to find it much the same. The Rhone, the Baths...I just love it there and I would be tempted to stick to the plan because you tell me that you are traveling with a pretty large group and it is so leisurely and easy there due to the calm waters and short distances between anchorages. I did not dive the Grenadines but I did visit St. Georges's Medical School and i think you will find it much more ...primative. I like primative but it does not always work with a varied group which just make's it a bit harder to please everyone. I do not see how you could go wrong in the BVI!

Thanks Catherine - actually, it's a small boat with just 6 of us as well as the captain and chef... should be fun!
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom