BVI & hurricanes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CathyI8205

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are planning a dive trip in January. It's the only time I can get away. This needs to be an easy dive trip. My husband is still working on his confidence.

We were planning to go to Grand Cayman but that's not going to happen with Ivan.

Did the British Virgin Islands survive? Is this a good place for beginners? Does anyone recommend a Dive Operator?

Thanks, Cathy

Cathy, we've bareboated in the BVI's several times & it's perfect beginner and easy diving. Most sites are 40 to 60 feet deep. Little current. Viz at least 50, probably better in winter. Mid to late January you may run into some heavy winds, but because there are so many islands, there is always a protected site.
The dive operators are mostly at the resorts, so depends on where you stay. Kilbride's at the Bitter End, Dive BVI at Marina Cay, Blue Water on Tortola, and so on.
Everyone wants to do the Rhone, of course. Our favorite dives are at the Dogs.
If you happen to stay on Cooper Island, be sure to do the wrecks in the channel.
I could go on and on.
You'll be there at high season, but other than the Rhone, the sites aren't crowded at all.

As to hurricanes, I believe BVI came through ok. There were heavy rains 10 to 15 inches. But no direct hits from the wind. On the message boards, everyone is even happy the power has been reliable!

Enjoy!
Dee

Cathy,

All of the VI's have have through ok so far. The heavy rains that zendee mentioned did wash out some roads but they're getting fixed and by Jan you probably won't notice anything happend.

In addition to the other reco's check out Dive Tortola, http://www.divetortola.com/
They are the sister operation to Dive Provo in T&C.

Zendee is right about the wind the christmas winds are usually still blowing which will bring some chop and swell but the various islands do provide a variety of places in the lee.

You may also want to check out St. Thomas in the USVI and see Chris Sawyer diving center http://www.sawyerdive.vi. There are many posts about them and they are great at taking care of new divers.

of hurricanes the last 10-15 years... I know - we have a house that has been there for 50 years. We are seeing a normalization in hurricane seasons. The lucky part for us is that the BVI are not usually in the path of hurricanes during nominal season behavior.

As a note: the roads in the BVI wash out EVERY time there is heavy rain... this is due to bad public works planning, no oversite of constructon (for real), and a 'who cares about the environment, people will come anyway' attitude.

As far as divers are concerned - very rarely (like last year) does the weather get so bad that vis and such doesn't clear up in just a few days.

CathyI8205:
Hey, Thanks guys. This is really helpful!

My husband and I just returned from a week in the BVI's. We had a wonderful time, super weather, good diving, and great food! We would highly recommend both the Cooper Island Beach Club and Sail Caribbean! The BVI's were not affected outside of some rainfall by the recent storms. Our favorite dives were Blonde Rock and of course the Rhone. Others such as the Chimneys and Coral Gardens at the Dogs, the Indians, Alice in Wonderland, Ginger Steps, and the wrecks around from Cooper were good as well just not our favorites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom