Buying underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50psi?!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for a good, durable, reliable, easy-to-use, takes great u/w pics, that won't put me in hock up to my eyeballs underwater camera. Any suggestions, experiences with your own equipment, advice, do's/don'ts greatly appreciated. I'm a fairly new diver but am getting a little bored looking at at all my topside pics. Thanks for any info...

There are lots of reliable point and shoot (easy) U/W cameras out there. It depends a lot on whether you prefer to go digital or film. There are pros and cons to both. I use a somewhat inexpensive film camera myself (Sea & Sea MX-10), and would like to go digital eventually once the prices come down some. Film cameras have several drawbacks such as the need to change out film on a wet dive boat, being limited to 24 or 36 pictures per dive, having to develop pictures before you can see them, expense of film and developing, etc. Plus if you share pictures via the internet, you have to have film pictures converted to digital format to do so. On the other hand, digital cameras are electronic and more susceptible to malfunction (especially in wet conditions). Many have a short delay between the time you press the button and when the photo actually takes....causing that fish to dart off in the interim. Some newer models have addressed that concern. And as I said earlier, digital cameras are more expensive, and more likely to be obsolete in a shorter period of time since newer more advanced models are coming out all the time (which is another reason Im holding off).

In so far as film cameras go, you can find inexpensive ones that are only point and shoot (no manual settings, no user variables). Others (such as my MX-10) have some limited variables such as manual aperture settings, ISO settings, and the ability to detach the strobe for adjusting your lighting angles (reduce backscatter, top light, side light, back light, etc.). If you want decent U/W photos, I would recommend you start at this level. The standard point & shoot cameras give pretty standard results. You need the ability to make some exposure and lighting adjustments that most point and shoots don't offer. I really like my MX-10, which I think is ideal for beginners. Its rugged, durable, reliable, easy to use, and does take good pictures. It has optional accessory lens' (wide angle, close-up, and macro)...which work really well. I used the 20mm wide angle most of the time. Its doubles as a great little top-side camera too, so when I go on vacation...it literally goes everywhere I go (diving, swimming pool, snorkeling, mountain climbing, fishing, sailing, restaurants, shows, etc.) I even took it parasailing with me..

In the end though, the old saying of "you get what you pay for" holds true. The cheaper the camera you buy....the less impressive the pictures will be. You can get $100 point & shoots all the way up to $6K-$10K digital/film systems (including housings and multiple strobes). I dont recall the exact price...but I think my little MX-10 by itself was a few hundred dollars a few years ago, and the strobe was about the same. The accessory lens' run in the $150-200 range as well, as does the fiber-optic cable needed for manual strobe placement...All in all I think I have a little over $1k in it....but think they have come down in price somewhat since I bought mine?

Lots of options out there, so I'd start by determining what kind of pictures you want, and how you want them (film of digital)...and go from there. Good luck!!

Check for recent threads on the Oly 350, Canon A620 - both solid cameras.

Fuji 900 may also be worth looking at.

These are all digital...I can't say there are any film cameras out there I'd recommend for casual uw photos...digital's benefits simply outweigh any benefits of film cameras in this arena, IMHO.

50psi?!:
I'm looking for a good, durable, reliable, easy-to-use, takes great u/w pics, that won't put me in hock up to my eyeballs underwater camera. Any suggestions, experiences with your own equipment, advice, do's/don'ts greatly appreciated. I'm a fairly new diver but am getting a little bored looking at at all my topside pics. Thanks for any info...
You can now pick-up a Canon S-60 with housing for less than $500 if you do some shopping around. (Amazon has both I think) You can look at my gallery and see if it will do what you want. They were all taken with the S-50 and S-60. I love it and it works for me. My gallery is Silvertip57 :wink:

I use a Canon Powershot A620. with its compatible canon underwater housing. The camera is less than $500 and the housing is around $200. I'm quite happy with the performance of the camera ( 7.1megapixels!). You can check out the photo quality in my gallery. :)

You should be able to get an SP-350 with the PT-030 housing, 8mp with every high end feature you can imagine for about $400. I paid $600 and consider it a bargain. Click on my gallery at left to see shots. Enlarge them with a double click to see the quality of detail even at the far reduced size of the gallery posts.

50psi?!:

I have heard really good things about the Sealife DC500.
The older DC320's took great pictures so I would imagine the DC500 5mp camera would be the same or better quality.

One thing to take into account for underwater photography is this; You need copntrol over the white ballance. If you cannot control the white ballance you get washed out pictures. Also you must have flash control for scene pictures or you get bubles not scenery.

Maybe some day these camera companies will allow raw storage on all cameras.

You can have flash control, raw storage and manual white balance on the SP350. This is the only current p & s that has all three and a hotshoe as far as I know. I haven't checked out the Fuji.

I'm not going to recommend a camera or housing, there are a ton of posts discussing this. When you have narrowed down your choices then post specific questions about those models.

I will however suggest film is not the solution for most UW photographers, and I'll list a few reasons:

Learning curve - Digital has a HUGE advantage over film in that one can shoot, and instantly review the histogram (exposure) and image. With film not only are you limited by 36 exposures, if the exposure settings are off, and you shoot two rolls on two dives, you may end up with 72 bad images, and the opportunity to get it right the next day. Given the potentially changing conditions during a dive, unless you are expenienced what are the chances that you are going to get it right, and then remember what you did.

With digital the learning curve is much faster as you have instant access to review and adjust the shots. In addition after the dive is over, and one is reviewing the shots on the computer you don't have to guess what worked best, and what did not, all the exposure, WB, focal setting, Flash and other information is right there attached to each image to review.

Cost - Digital PnS camera's are down in price, and not likely to get a whole lot less expensive. Sure film camera's can be had for next to nothing, but what are the REAL costs? First off the film and the processing. If it costs $15 to shoot and develope 36 exposures how fast does that add up. 360 shots, and you've spent $150. Another price to pay is the cost of changing film. With digital you can leave the camera in the housing for the entire day, or maybe more. This reduces the chances of flooding. With film you introduce a flood possibility every time you open the housing.

Digital Technical advantage - With film you are stuck using daylight balanced film.. period. The WB available in even the least expensive digitals is far better for anything but shots that use only flash as the light source. Another point is that manufactures are no longer putting technology into improving film camera's so advances in metering, focusing, etc., are not making it into film cameras.

Results - My Cuz and I spent 5 days diving together in the Keys last summer. She had previouosly been using a film camera UW. After just two dives with her digital she basically said she had more good shots in those two dives then she had produced on her last 20 dives using film. Why? First she shot about 150 images over those two dives, and then....well see the points made about. She said that she was lucky to get two or three good shots per roll using film, and often nothing turned out well.

I could go on, but the point is IMO for the majority of non-professional photographers out there film is basically dead, and for good reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom