Buying property in Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ridley

New
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a condo in Little Cayman as an investment property (that I'd need to check on quite frequently, of course :) and I'd love to hear from folks that have been through the process. I'm specifically interested in the mortgage, as the local Cayman mortgages I've heard about aren't that great. Anyone with any success with a local US lender loaning against the property in Caymans?

Yes, US mortgages can be had for Cayman properties. You will probably need to shop this around between a few banks to find a lender willing to write the loan, but rates on a US mortgage are usually substantially cheaper.

While you are at it, ask about insuring the property on a US policy as homeowners' rates here have jumped more than 100% post-Ivan.

Drew Sailbum:
Yes, US mortgages can be had for Cayman properties. You will probably need to shop this around between a few banks to find a lender willing to write the loan, but rates on a US mortgage are usually substantially cheaper.

While you are at it, ask about insuring the property on a US policy as homeowners' rates here have jumped more than 100% post-Ivan.

thanks, Drew -- that's encouraging news. I feel I'll be living on google or lending tree for awhile. and, good advice re: insurance -- i guess paradise does have a few drawbacks.

You may be able to get a US lender to lend against a Cayman property but a US bank cannot secure their loan against the Cayman property. Only a local bank can. You would ned to find alternative security for the US bank.

I was thinking of buying over here before Ivan. However, during and after Ivan most peoples homes were pretty much trashed, some people's insurance companies came through, allot didn't and people were out of pocket. I personally, would not buy as i would spend the whole time worrying about whether my investment will survive the hurricane season (especially on a small ultra low lying island like Little Cayman.) It would appear with global warming, as the seas get warmer each year the hurricane season may get longer and more active (this years hurricane activity certainly seems to back this up,) so for me personally, i would prefer to invest my money in something that is a little less likely to get blown away.

ridley:
I'm considering buying a condo in Little Cayman as an investment property (that I'd need to check on quite frequently, of course :)

Both sets of condo's on Little Cayman that I know of offhand got blasted pretty thorougly by Hurricane Ivan. Better factor in a chunk of money for Insurance and see if it still makes sense to do.

shiro85:
Both sets of condo's on Little Cayman that I know of offhand got blasted pretty thorougly by Hurricane Ivan. Better factor in a chunk of money for Insurance and see if it still makes sense to do.

I'd be interested to know which you think got "blasted pretty thoroughly" as most suffered relatively minimal damage.

I spent 1.5 weeks on LC last November, and saw a good bit of their post-Ivan damage.

The below photo's aren't mine, but they do provide a little bit of insight in terms of how much of a "blasting" Little Cayman actually took from Hurricane Ivan:

http://photo-xposure.com/gallery/LC

Infoar as condo's, the units down at the West End had seawater infiltration go completely through on the 1st floor & parking lot power distribution shed, which included the breakdown of a stone wall on their parking lot side (saw them rebuilding it). Plus, they had the expected amount of wind damage.

The other condo I'm aware off offhand is Neptune's Berth, which is up along South Sound in Blossom Village, just west of LCBR. Their noticable damage was that their dock was completely taken out. However, their not-so-noticable damage was that their little electrical power junction station took a hit too...its at ground level and halfway up their property next to the public street on their west side.

Overall, the general problem with ground-level slab construction and seawater is that your A/C units and your electrical systems are often low to grade and can thus get exposed to salt water storm surge if you weren't careful in your original building design. FWIW, I'm a timeshare owner on the Brac, in a building that was originally completed in 1990, and the current rennovation is gutting and replacing a lot of their "inside the wall" electrical systems...do the math: a 15 year total lifespan.

True, an A/C condenser's pretty easy to replace. And wet electrical wires can be dried out and used, but its absoultely impossible to get the salt out of where it whicked down under the wire's insulation, and it will sit in here and corrode.

This corrosion does a number on the copper wire's expected lifetime, and then you're into brittle wire breaks and reduced cross-sections, which causes hot spots (translation: "Fire Hazard"). It takes a couple of years and a couple of storm exposures, but in short, you're in for the expense of a rewiring job many decades before you would think is necessary compared to a conventional "terrestrial" home in the States...and don't forget that the Cayman Sister Islands has had repeated "minor" damage from TS Isidore and H Lily in 2002, Ivan in 2004 and H Dennis in 2005...there's probably four times that their wires have likely gotten wet within as many years.

FWIW, the "Splash House" was up for sale, 'as is', from Ivan damage. This is the very pretty waterfront house that sits along the cliff on the north side just west of Salt Rocks. IIRC, the asking price was reduced from around $1.3M to $700K-ish.

http://photo-xposure.com/gallery/latest/splash

Reportedly, the storm's surge & waves breached over the height of the cliff (roughly 10ft vertical) and battered down one of the garage doors on the lower level. The garages are reportedly connected internally to the living space above with a staircase, and the waves caused the air inside the garage space to get compressed and "rammed" up the staircase, which reportedly ended up blowing out "all" of the windows upstairs.

FWIW, the first time that my wife & I looked at buying property in the Caymans was in 1993. At present, we have two friends who own houses on the Brac and overall, we're glad that we decided to "hold off"...IMO, you can't really think of a house in the Sister Islands as being an investment property, partly because nothings cheap, the Caymans make it difficult for you to work on your own house (work permits), which all means that the maintenance costs will generally eat you alive. IMO, if you're going to be on-island for less than 3 months/year, its probably cheaper to rent. Best yet is to have a friend who owns the house and has given you a set of its keys. :)

-hh

Splash House is currently listed at US$1.195 m.

Back
Top Bottom