Buying on ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver69

Contributor
Reaction score
Let's open up another can of worms -

I've read (I think from Dee) that Olympus America's ebay auctions are pretty good.

How about these sellers?

- Consumerxpress
- Priceitwholesale
- Cameramart

Anyone with experience buying cameras on ebay from any of the above?

I'm looking fro an Olympus c-5050

Thx

Do some research - read several pages worth of feedback reviews, and see if people complain about late or slow shipping, excess shipping charges, missing items that are supposed to be included, smaller CF cards than the camera usually ships with, excess bundling of accessories, etc. Often people put a complaint in the feedback, but still post it as "positive" out of fear of getting a retalitory negative feedback themselves.

I had a buddy who bought a camera through eBay from a supposedly reputable dealer -he paid for overnight shipping as he wanted it for a vacation, and his camera was shipped 3 weeks later "overnight" after the dealer then in turn ordered it from a distributer. Sometimes sellers advertise goods they don't hold in stock, and only order it if the auction is a success. Make sure your seller has the goods in stock - a single telephone call if they list a number could save a lot of heartache.

I've heard good and bad from most all of them. The best thing to do like Ben said, is to read their feedback, if they list a phone number call and get a 'feel' of how you will be treated as well as if your item is in stock.

It's probably just me but I won't buy anything over $100 on eBay. That kind of money to me needs more than just a few feedback statements. I'd much rather spend a little more and either get it locally or from a reputable business online with an established reputation, Like B&H Photo for instance.

Bottom line...only you can make the decision of who to buy from, as we all have different experiences with eBay....good and bad. FWIW, I've never had a bad experience on eBay.

Dee:
It's probably just me but I won't buy anything over $100 on eBay.

Bottom line...only you can make the decision of who to buy from, as we all have different experiences with eBay....good and bad. FWIW, I've never had a bad experience on eBay.

The watchword is always caution. But, like diving, the rewards for careful risk management are great.

I've purchased thousands of dollars from the Oly eBay site. Remember, they are selling refurbs - which means they are for the most part Dealer returns - overstock, consumer returns, end of life products.

These things go through a 100% Operational QC - unlike factory new goods which go through a fractional QC. Given the opportunity, I'll ALWAYS buy a factory refurb. I know it will work. I know its been checked. If it doesn't work, back it goes, as they all have warranties.

As far as Cameras and other high-risk eBay stuff:

a) NEVER pay Western Union. Its cash, you have no recourse.

b) Try to pay with your credit card (not thru PayPal, as most CC's consider that a cash transaction, but with your card over a secured server). Check with your card providor, as many offer consumer protection, rebates, cash back and even additional warranties for purchases.

c) Check Feedback, but more importantly, check how long the seller has been selling. A ton of pos feedback over 3 months is BS, and could be schills. If the guy has been around for a few years, you lower your risk.

d) Know the cost of freight to you before buying. People pay too much for freight - its insane. Get educated.

e) Contact the seller. eMail them, and ask some questions. Offer a side deal off-line. All of the best deals take place OFF of eBay. The seller doesn't have to pay final closing fees, and you can leverage urgancy and close the deal now and often (very often) get a better price.

I've transacted many tens-of-thousands of dollars over eBay over the last 5+ years. Selling, I've never been burned. Buying, I've been burned once on a camcorder. The deal seemed too-good-to-be-true so I went for it.

It was.

Be careful, be wise, and have fun. There are treasures on eBay. ScubaBoard is littered with my eBay tales. My whole scuba rig is from eBay, as is my camera rig, two computers, my recording studio, drums, lots of china (yes, I know our china pattern... wink it shows up all the time and we've saved zillions) etc, etc. etc. If the internet is the biggest thing to happen in my lifetime (and it is) then eBay is the biggest thing to ever happen to the internet. Go play, start small, get a feel for the place, and have fun.

You must become confident and efficient at negotiating eBay - its completely ignorant and foolish to ignore it - it's simply too big and offers too much good stuff to just blow it off as an option for purchasing anything. You're throwing money away to not mix it in to your consideration process for every purchase. Its changed my life, for sure.

Have fun.

K

Well, I bought my stylus 400 from Consumerxpress. The salesman was a bit pushy in finalizing the deal, upgrade this - add that....but that is what salesmen do, isn't it?

He told me it would take about 8 days to get to Hawaii...it got here in two. I was completely satisfied.

Lisa

Mo2vation:
e) Contact the seller. eMail them, and ask some questions. Offer a side deal off-line. All of the best deals take place OFF of eBay. The seller doesn't have to pay final closing fees, and you can leverage urgancy and close the deal now and often (very often) get a better price.

Call them on the phone if possible...

I should make a correction. I've bought lots of stuff from the Olympus eBay site. My post is concerning dealings with individuals mainly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom