Buying new vs used - pros & cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just from my perspective, and I'm still new with rebreathers with less than 50 dives on mine.
When used often even with preventive maintenance rebreathers break. Wires oxidise, seals degrade, plastic warps.

So buying used is a risk as there is a very good chance that the rebreather is either close to a breakdown, or it already happened and you are not sure how well the patch job was done.
I could not afford a new one, so it cut my choices to stuff that has as little plastic parts as possible and with as simple electronics or even none at all.
In the end I chose a Meg (pathfinder) because I had a trusted instructor, but for a long time JJ was also a option.
After 10 dives I had a problem with one of the battery connectors, the wire was rotted trough and I had to cancel a dive and spend a afternoon with a soldering iron. I'll have to change out the molex connectors before the year is over too.
If I bought new I would been fine for another 2 years at least before the stuff started going down the hill, and if i did not know how to fiddle with the wires myself a head rebuild would be close to 1.5k euros and I would have to ship it internationally.
So in the end I did save close to 50% of the price by buying used, but it will take me another year or two to get the actual price, who knows what else could go wrong.

And of course no matter how easy self repair is there is always a added risk of me messing something up and ending in the A&I thread.

Just to close out the thread. I ordered a new Spirit. They won’t install an outside display on a unit, so I got a secondary 4 pin connector that I’ll plug a 4 pin Fathom HUD into. I also got a 4 pin Petrel.

Kiss is apparently swamped with orders. Mine will likely not ship until late summer. In order to not have mine delayed by a Petrel shortage (due to display shortage), I asked if they have Petrels in stock. They do and have put one aside for me.

Hi, I'm looking for my first rebreather, looking reviews. I'm interesting in O2PTIMA REBREATHER with iBOV and BMCL, did anybody dive with this rebreather? I want back mounted, I used to dive wrecks. what's your experience? Pros, Cons. Thank you in advance.👌

Hi, I'm looking for my first rebreather, looking reviews. I'm interesting in O2PTIMA REBREATHER with iBOV and BMCL, did anybody dive with this rebreather? I want back mounted, I used to dive wrecks. what's your experience? Pros, Cons. Thank you in advance.👌

I'll suggest that, depending how tall you are the o2ptima is a slightly taller yet narrower backmount unit.

I think traditional canister designs with flanking cylinders have merit for most divers. The kiss design might be an exception to this suggestion as it doesn't penalize the diver with awkward propportions.

I see a lot of CCR divers of all walks being a captain, do as many try dives as you can and ask to see them built and disassembled for daily cleaning.

Adding @Tracy as he’s an Optima instructor.

I do have a fair bit of experience wreck diving with the Optima. Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom