• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Buying New Kit, After Function, What Matters Most?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by desert diver paul, Mar 23, 2016.

Cost or Aesthetics?

1. Money saved wins hands down.

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Rule 1 always look good is the rule I go by.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. desert diver paul

desert diver paul Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    the joy of this world, we all like different things!

2. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I didn't know this was a poll (new system, I guess). Holy crap-my post is #32 since the OP yesterday?!? I skimmed through the posts and see so far it's 50-50 re cost vs. vanity. I used shop gear when assisting with OW courses in the pool. My own stuff is 10 years old (and used when I bought it--though a birthday present from the kids was a new--used-wetsuit, which LOOKS great on all those SOLO dives I do when nobody's around anywhere). On a charter I have usually taken out of Pensacola, the Captain always wants to give me the award for oldest/crappiest gear. Who cares (apparently 50%!). It works. If I had $50M I'd have top of the line stuff.

I can't believe some of the posts. Does anyone even THINK somebody looks cool in ANY scuba gettup (well maybe other than divers where you dive)?
    Man, I want to look my best when performing as a clarinetist, and before that for 19 years as a school Band Conductor. But on the other hand, my wife always has to get me in ship-shape to go out for a meal or anywhere (admit I'm a slug with that).
    . But scuba diving........

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  3. Neilwood

Neilwood Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    And despite the $50M of the best gear, you would still look like a dork albeit a very well equipped and rich one - it is impossible to look like anything else in scuba gear

4. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

I will pay more for look only if the look has some sort of meaningful function. I recently bought a pair of yellow jet fins. I wanted bright color because I want to be more visible under dark silty water. No used available, but I paid retail. A used pair of jet fins in black is less than half.

The truth is dive gears get used in a very harsh environment, no matter how good they look new, after a few dives, they all look like crap, faded color on fabric, scratches on hard parts. What really make one look good is how he/she looks underwater. Scuba diving look good vs scuba top side look good, if I can choose, the former every time.

5. Storker

Storker Divemaster

Stupid poll.

Function beats both looks and price. Hands down, any time of the day, any day of the week, any week of the year. However, function isn't an option in the poll. Duh.

Bob DBF likes this.
  6. desert diver paul

ummm, the title quite clearly says AFTER function, so I agree with you, even though you called my poll stupid!

7. islanddream

islanddream ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Now look at our leader NetDoc. He dives in shorts, a tie-dyed shirt, and a rain hat. He looks awesome!!!! I don't think his dive outfit was 50M. I'd wear the same get-up if I could dive like he does. Hey Pete, I still can't do "reverse" with just my fins :(:( but I keep on tryin'!!
    025.JPG

8. desert diver paul

He does look good, I can't reverse on fins either!

islanddream likes this.
  9. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    ^ add me to that list as well....... still trying to figure it out.....:banghead:

10. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Snobbish ... amount of trim, indeed!