Buying New Kit, After Function, What Matters Most?

Cost or Aesthetics?

• Money saved wins hands down.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Rule 1 always look good is the rule I go by.

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could be anything at all, but if you need an example, you need a new wet suit, and these are the ONLY 2 you get the choice of

assume both fit equally well

Agreed budget is important, but lets assume the bodget can stretch to both items.
Then buy what you like. In the end you need to be happy.....

I like the look of industrial design!

So your poll is intended to find out how many other divers do?

I suppose at least some dive gear manufacturers think industrial design is a motivator in their customers' buying decisions. So who am I to second-guess them? The free market knows best.

so, here's what I tell new divers. In scuba diving, looking good is about 70% of being a good diver, the other 30% is all mental. If you look good, odds are you are doing it properly.

Now, for gear, it doesn't matter if it's neon orange yellow and green, and you thank God you are sober ever time you look at it because you'd get a headache otherwise, or if it is solid black with sexy red or blue accents. If it is high quality gear, and it fits you properly, it is worth paying a premium if it fits or performs better. Unfortunately you haven't told us what the specific gear is, or what the price point is. It is all order of magnitude and what you are sacrificing to go from one to the other

The free market knows best.

So Jacket BCs are better than Wing and BP? Market only follows a trend - they don't always know best or do they? :)

As an example, my first pair of boots are now showing signs of fatigue after a year of use. I could buy another perfectly adequate pair of boots for not a great deal of money, or I could buy the Poseidon one shoes because the look amazing!

So Jacket BCs are better than Wing and BP? Market only follows a trend - they don't always know best or do they? :)

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. From a manufacturer's point of view, yes, a jacket BC is "better" because the manufacturer can make more money selling jacket BCs than BP/W BCs. The free market supplies whatever is most profitable. If manufacturers believe consumers demand aesthetics, manufacturers will supply aesthetics.

It's been said on previous threads that one reason we don't see more BP/Ws is that they aren't as profitable as jacket BCs.

I would not say that the scuba industry is the free market. There is a lot of weird stuff that happens and the main reason jackets are pushed is because of the profit margins associated with them. Unfortunately for rental fleets, BP/W's are actually significantly more cost effective, especially if there is a lot of pool work because they are modular and easily resized.

or you could just buy a pair of chuck taylors and put bungee laces in them lol. The one shoe is actually really good, however they don't make one that fits my big foot.... NRS is the only company that makes shoes for my duck feet.

Last edited:
neither of you are wrong, they're a blatant converse classic copy, that's what makes them look so good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom