Buying my first set of equipment - Aqualung Legend LX or Scubapro MK11 regulator sets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you buy your gear after moving to arizona, you can find lower prices on hog/dive rite regs. about 280 for the hog d1/classic currently and slightly more for the d3/zenith or dive rite xt. if you can wait till black friday, the hog regs should go on sale again.

divers supply also has the edge epic for 250 that can be considered.

Edge EPIC 2012 Regulator System Yoke

Well, I was thinking about an MK11 (with a S360 second stage) because of the prices of the AL LX and the equivalent Scubapro ones. However, I mostly heard better stuff about the Aqualung regulators. The thing is also that I will probably dive regularly for a long time, so I don't want equipment that's gonna give me a hard time with maintenance. I'm really sad about the prices though since I'm on a graduate student budget haha.

BurhanMuntasser, so you like the Scubapro regulators better then? And you think I should probably go for the MK17/G260?

Thanks!

Are you located in Brazil? If so, the warranty polices in the US probably don't apply to you there.

I am not sure of the price difference between the MK11/S360 and the MK17/G260 where you are now but this is something that come to what you can and can't afford nothing else. I'd certainly try my best to get the MK17/G260 if not the MK21/G260. These regulators will last you forever and you will never have to look back at all. The MK11/S360 is still a solid upper mid-range regulator. The LX is way overpriced for what it is when compared with the MK17/G260 and the MK21/G260.

@BurhanMuntasser I got my AL Legend LX for the same price as the MSRP of the MK17 G260. :D

Something to also consider is who can service the reg around you when you're at home and/or abroad when traveling.

Either regulator is an excellent choice. SP and AL have worldwide dealers networks, so you can have your equipment serviced just about anywhere which is a great plus if you travel to dive. I own regulators from both manufacturers and can say I am satisfied with both brands quality.

Hi guys,

I've recently completed my divemaster certification and worked for a while as divemaster. Right now, I'm gonna move to Arizona and I believe I'll be diving most weekends. Even though I'm a divemaster, I still don't have a full set of equipment. I've been doing some research and it's been really difficult to decide about which regulator to buy, mostly because the "good ones" are quite expensive. I've been thinking about the Aqualung Legend ones, because I've been told that they're in theory the best ones and maintenance costs are basically zero. However, they are quite expensive. This is why I thought about the MK11.

What do you think? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

If you are considering buying a MK11, I would suggest to think about getting a MK2. It's cheaper and concerning the qualities of balancing, the difference is very small (the MK11/17 are balancing very lousy in comparison to other diaphragm 1sts).
In my tests the Legend 1sts are extremely good in what they are primarily supposed to do, balancing.
The MK11especially are to me pretty useless models because a diver doesn't really has an advantage against the cheaper, reliant MK2.
Even when the MK17 balances lousy as well, at least you can use it in really cold water.
For me there is no doubt that the Legend 1sts are significantly superior to the MK11.
If the choice would be between the Legend and the MK21/25, it would be a different thing.

Do you guys really think I can consider buying second hand equipment? I don't like the idea at all, but I'm open to advice from your experience.

Are you moving to the Phoenix area? And planning to dive locally most weekends here?. Because almost all of our lakes are fed by silty Colorado River water and we have a lot of boat traffic so at all except for one visibility is often measured in single feet. For that reason I'd go with a MK17 or one of the Aqualung diaphragm models since they're sealed by design. Lake Pleasant is the one exception where visibility is sometimes in the 10's of feet but deeper it's still colder and dark/cloudy. LIghts are used for any sort of visibility during the daylight.

Nothing really gets super cold here though and many divers travel to SoCal to boat/shore dive. We're an hour flight from the LA Basin with dozens of dive operations going out to the Channel Islands. Also San Diego/La Jolla for the kelp/sea lions. Even in winter, I've dove an unsealed reg there with ho issues.

Also we dive in Mexico. Rocky Point is at the end of the Sea of Cortez so due to tidal exchange it can be a little sandy/murky. Cleaner water is down near Guaymas at San Carlos - one of the shops here and one in Tucson both keep large dive boats there. It's usually pretty clear except for the algae blooms in spring. And maybe gets into the mid-50's in winter - at the tail end of summer it's 80 degrees though - I've been diving there in October in a t-shirt. On that dive vis was close to 80'.

My point is probably most standard diaphragm regs can handle all the conditions here adequately. I own Atomics but b4 I bought them I also considered an Mk25/S600. Now one of the Aqualung Legends would also be on that list.

There's about 4 Scubapro dealers in town - one is a Platinum Reseller. And maybe 5-6 Aqualung dealers - including the shop where IMO the best reg. tech in town works. I believe we also have 1-2 Hog Dealers in town - a buddy is also one of their dealers but he works out of his residence.

If you're moving to one of the smaller AZ cities check the shop list here and see what they sell/service since in many towns they're the only dealer for a hundred miles or more.

Also I wouldn't buy anything in Brazil until I find out how the warranty coverage works. When I've looked at some mfr's websites - they consider the US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean one sales territory so that could apply to warranty coverage also.

Last edited:
Atomic regulators (any model) with sealed first stage are best performance and most durable and reliable regulator in the world. You can go 4 - 5 years without service without any issue and still be covered by warrant. SP comes a close second in performance.

Back
Top Bottom