Buying my first gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at buying my first gear, I have been certified only a year. I will be an occasional dive probably 10-20 dives a year, with a big trip every couple of years. Any advice? I already have the personal gear but am looking a BCD and regulator.

1. Buying online, I know the local dive shops probably hate this, but does any experiences to share that can sway my mind? Some of the packages they offer appear to be very well priced.

2. Reg. Is buying a balanced reg really worth the extra money?

3. BCD - I plan on trying them out at the local dive shops, since I do understand that buying these online, you never know how they fit until you have them on, probably will stick local with these. Any must have accessories?

4. Brand Names. Cruising along on the internet, I am not sure what brands are "name brands" and which ones are rip-offs. I have heard good things about scubapro, mares, aeris. Basically I am looking for the Toyota/Honda of the scuba industry. I do not feel like spending the money on a BMW but do not want to get stuck with a Yugo!!! Advice?

5. Where is the best place to peruse used gear, I am leary of not having face to face contact with the seller (ie Ebay)

thanks for all of your help

1) look for a LDS that also sells online. That way if you buy online you have the ability to exchange in the stores.
Scuba Gear |Scuba Equipment Discount | Snorkel | Dive Equipment | Buy Scuba Diving Equipment | Divers Direct

2)A balanced reg is worth the extra money. Unbalanced regs will breathe differently at deeper depths. For some it's a lot harder to breathe on unbalanced regs. With a balanced reg the breathing will remain the same. Check this regulator out:
Mares Proton 16 Metal Regulator at Divers Direct - Scuba gear & equipment online dive catalog!

3)it is a good to go to your LDS to try on BCD's as fit is the most important factor in purchasing one. It is good to have a clip or two to tie hoses down such as an octo holder.
Standard Octo Holder at Divers Direct - Scuba gear & equipment online dive catalog!

4) Reputable brands are Aqualung, Atomic, Mares, Aeris, Oceanic, Zeagle, Cressi. There are several price points within each manufacturer.

5) Beware of used gear. Find out how the equipment has been taken care of before proceeding with a purchase.

Divers Direct offers price matching. Plus they will give you an additional 10% of the difference. They are an authorized dealer which means you will get the full manufacturers warranty with your purchase.

6) Beware of shop owners/employees telling you what is best and where to buy it. :wink:

As for reputable brands, that's a pretty huge list. You're best bet is to find something you think you like in your price range and then search for specific threads about that piece of gear or, if there isn't a thread, ask about it specifically. I could probably list at least a dozen, probably more, reputable brands off the top my head.

Balanced regs may or may not be worth your money, it all depends upon how you're going to use it.

I have bought a ton of used gear and never had a problem with any of it.

You want to try on a BC, which means either rent what you think you want to buy, try it out, and then buy it, or go to your LDS, try it on and buy it there. I'm not anti-internet, but I do have a problem with people treating an LDS like a fitting room.

As for stuff you really need on a BC, you have to have a strap (or two) to hold the tank on, some sort of belt and/or shoulder straps to hold the BC on you, a bladder that can be inflated or deflated, and a way to inflate or deflate said bladder. All the rest is really personal preference. I like my BC because I can put the D-rings where I want them. All the bolt-snaps are on my gear, not on my BC.

Nick,

nice one about #6. I had to have a laugh, but seriously, I planned on buying the BC and the LDS, I plan on joining on the dive clubs ran by the LDS and nothing would sour that relationship than taking their time, playing with their gear, then buying it elsewhere to save a buck.

Nick,

nice one about #6. I had to have a laugh, but seriously, I planned on buying the BC and the LDS, I plan on joining on the dive clubs ran by the LDS and nothing would sour that relationship than taking their time, playing with their gear, then buying it elsewhere to save a buck.

Ok, so what brands does your LDS carry?

Another point,

If you plan to travel with the gear, I would seriously look at the weight of the bcd.
Every little bit of weight makes a difference when you are trying to stay within airline limits.

Two of my friends use the aeris reefrider bcd (back inflate) they love it and it appears to be very light.

Try also talking to a LDS. Most will try to come close to matching the online prices. Considering its your first set ya wanna make sure you get whats gonna match your style of diving. Best to buy your first set of gear once then to realize after the return policy that you should of purchased something else.

Your best priced BCDs are going to be Oceanic/ Aeris (sister companies), Mares, Sherwood. Aqualung/ Seaquest, and Scubapro will claim to be the Best of the Best, but I don't think their price matches their product.

Ask your LDS if they will make deals for you. Many will give you "package pricing"

As for accessories: I reccomend a small retractor for your guages, octo holder if not already included, small light for poking into crevices, Signaling devices (whistle, Signal tube/ mirror), and a slate.

Balanced is definitely worth it. The diaphram is the best but a Balanced piston will work.
I love my Oceanic Delta 4/ FDX 10 combo

Some good points- you mention that you might only be diving a few times a year. Where would those dives be?
If you are travelling then a light, packable BC would be the way ro go. If you would be switching areas, and also switching from very light to very heavy exposure suits then you might need something a bit more beefy than a travel BC, with enough adjustment in size to accomodate different weight suits.
Same with regs. Do you want to be able to adjust how they breathe underwater or would you rather not worry about that and just have it work. Some regs can be 'environmentally sealed' if you are diving somewhere that is not carribean clear, that is with lots of silt and sediment in the water. The sealing means that nothing gets into the workings of the reg. Some also can be fitted for cold water diving so that they do not freeze up. If you looking to dive in only warm water areas this would not be an issue for you.
If you are looking at a dive computer I would recommend that you get one that will work with Nitrox. Even if you do not dive Nitrox right now, if in the future you do decide to take the course and start using it you would not have to buy another computer. Wrist or console mount also is somewhat your personal preference. Do you like all your info in one place (computer, pressure gauge, compass) then a console might be right. Others like the conveniece of looking at their wrist without having to look down.
Whichever way you go please remember that the most important factors are the fit of the gear and the right functions for your type of diving. Whether you choose to buy from an online dealer or your local LDS should be based on what is best for you. If you do a search here on SB on the topic of LDS vs. online you will find some very intense debates!!
One factor to consider when buying your gear is warranty service/authorized dealer. As DD mentioned above, they are an authorized dealer for the gear they sell. Repairing scuba gear can get very expensive. Many times, with many manufacturers a lot is covered under warranty repair. I have seen many shocked faces when people have brougt gear in to have it repaired and then found out what it would cost due to having ben bought at a dealer not authorized by the manufacturer. This doesn't happen all the time, nor from every manufacturer, just something to be aware of when making your selections.
As far aas brands go, most pf the major brands listed in this thread, and many that haven't been listed are good solid brands. If you do have a LDS, maybe if you did your training there, try on as many differnent types of gear as possible. Get in a pool with it if you can. Your car analogy is right on- you don't necessarily buy the first car you test drive!! :D

Good luck with your purchases and welcome to SB!!

Hank
PADI Assistant Instructor
EFR Instructor

Some dive shops will sell their rental gear. Ask about this. Depending on what type of diving you do/want to do, you may want to consider an environmentally sealed reg as well. There are some nicely priced, balanced and sealed ones out there. Divers and their equipment seem like smokers/drinkers, very brand loyal. So in your search for recommendations, try to get a little more out of someone as to why they recommend a certain brand. If you mostly travel to dive, you'll want to go with a brand(s) that is easily service just about anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom