Buying Full Equipment: better in BKK or Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys, i'm new to the Board, please excuse me if I make a mistake.
if told kindly, I don't repeat the same mistake twice.
I'm a new diver, started last year and have a Rescue Diving Certification with Padi, around 50 dives.
I wanted to buy full equipment as I plan to visit south of Thailand, Indonesia (Raja Ampat, Gilli islands) and then Autralia (Cairns)

I guess it's time to buy everything!

I went to a dive center in BKK and looked up the prices (planet scuba).
The prices were in range with what I find on internet.

I was wondering, should I buy in BKK or should I go to Koh Tao and buy all the equipment at the dive shop which I will choose to do my dives there?
does anybody have any experience? do you think I will have an advantage to buy all in Koh Tao or is it better to buy in BKK.

Thanks
Massimo

In general the diveshop you'll be diving with can buy from different wholesalers, so will give you an independent advice. Plus they'll be more willing to deal a bit since you're diving with them as well.

So I would say, buy in Koh Tao.

Hi Massimo

Go to the shops/show rooms in Bangkok. You can try the equipment straight away instead of chosing it from a catalogue and waiting for it to arrive. You also have a much broader selection right in front of you, you can often find some really good deals and you get much better advises about each product from the sales rep. Besides this - when browsing around the shops you may find other stuff that you can't live without :). Koh Tao do have show rooms/shops but they tend to have a smaller selection to chose from.

Most shops have some really good offers, that many dive centers/instructors are not aware about. It can be; buy a full set and get some equipment for free or last years models heavily discounted - Aqua Master, Dive Supple and Siam Diving Enterprise/Planet Scuba are the one to go to. I'm pretty sure, that if you go into any of these shops and say you like to buy a full set of equipment and you want a good discount you'll get it (depends of you negotiating skills and if they say no - just tell them you'll go to somebody else).

If you live in Bangkok and not in a hurry, then visit the dive show - TDEX. Every May, you'll find this 3 days dive exhibition at the Queen Sirikit center. All the suppliers will be there and you can save up to 80% on many products.

Think about weight when buying. A full set easily weights 15 - 18 kilo and that doesn't leaves much for the usually 20 kilo allowance. Today you can buy traveller sets that weights less or just around 10 kilo from Aqua Lung, Scuba Pro and I also think Mares.

Dive Supply: 457/4 Sri-Ayudthaya Road, Tung-Payathai, Ratchathewi, Bangkok 10400.
Siam Diving Enterprise: 12 Soi Chaloemphrakiat Ratchakarn Thi 9 Rd, Soi 48 sub soi 10, Prawet, Bangkok 10250
Aqua Master: 22/3-4 Sukhumvit 21 Rd., Klong Toey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110.

Thank you Michael for your extensive reply.
As I will be backpacking for a while, carrying around the full equipment could be a bit heavy, that is why I was concerned if I should buy it in BKK or directly in Koh Tao.
I will go take a look at the shops you indicate too apart from Planet Scuba and I'll start sending a few emails to Koh Tao Shops so I can finalize in taking my decision.
I might opt out buying the BCD for now which seems to be the biggest item in terms of weight and volume.

I would be happy to read more advise if anybody wishes to give more help.

I wanted to buy full equipment as I plan to visit south of Thailand, Indonesia (Raja Ampat, Gilli islands) and then Autralia (Cairns)

I guess it's time to buy everything!

Thanks
Massimo

No its not! You are visiting prime tourist destinations with dive shops catering to every need. Just rent. Scuba gear and backpacks don't mix.

Buy the gear for use at home when you are no longer a resort diver and dive with a local club or something.

Sent from MiPad(Beats the rotten Apple hollow!)

Hi Massimo

Go to the shops/show rooms in Bangkok. You can try the equipment straight away instead of chosing it from a catalogue and waiting for it to arrive. You also have a much broader selection right in front of you, you can often find some really good deals and you get much better advises about each product from the sales rep. Besides this - when browsing around the shops you may find other stuff that you can't live without :). Koh Tao do have show rooms/shops but they tend to have a smaller selection to chose from.

Most shops have some really good offers, that many dive centers/instructors are not aware about. It can be; buy a full set and get some equipment for free or last years models heavily discounted - Aqua Master, Dive Supple and Siam Diving Enterprise/Planet Scuba are the one to go to. I'm pretty sure, that if you go into any of these shops and say you like to buy a full set of equipment and you want a good discount you'll get it (depends of you negotiating skills and if they say no - just tell them you'll go to somebody else).

If you live in Bangkok and not in a hurry, then visit the dive show - TDEX. Every May, you'll find this 3 days dive exhibition at the Queen Sirikit center. All the suppliers will be there and you can save up to 80% on many products.

Think about weight when buying. A full set easily weights 15 - 18 kilo and that doesn't leaves much for the usually 20 kilo allowance. Today you can buy traveller sets that weights less or just around 10 kilo from Aqua Lung, Scuba Pro and I also think Mares.

Dive Supply: 457/4 Sri-Ayudthaya Road, Tung-Payathai, Ratchathewi, Bangkok 10400.
Siam Diving Enterprise: 12 Soi Chaloemphrakiat Ratchakarn Thi 9 Rd, Soi 48 sub soi 10, Prawet, Bangkok 10250
Aqua Master: 22/3-4 Sukhumvit 21 Rd., Klong Toey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110.
As I mentioned earlier, buy at the local diveshop.

But I do agree with Michael that that requires a service minded diveshop who are up to date with their offers and willing to give you the service you require. So you can try on anything and have a good look at everything in stead of just from a catalogue.

Good advice from Pearlman. Also I would add that if you intend to visit or return to your own country (Europe/North America?) you will find much better deals there. I recently purchased a new regulator set when visiting the UK which cost the equivelent of 12,500 THB. The exact same set was 'on offer' at TDEX for 25,000 THB!

Agreed that individual dive shops on the island may be able to offer you a wider variety of choice, as they are not restricted to selling a particular brand/set of brands. I'd always recommend getting your bcd and reg from the same manufacturer though. Many shops here will let you try a variety of gear on a 'try before you buy' basis.

It also depends what your plans for diving are in general though. If you're planning on doing a bunch of dives throughout your stay in SE asia then diving more in colder climates, you'll probably find that the gear you'd choose for one is completely different to what you need for the other. For example, for travelling you'd probably want a lightweight BC like the Aqualung Zuma (or similar from another manufacturer, but that's the one that springs to mind). But the same BC would not be ideal for harsher or cold water conditions as they lack pockets and clips for additional equipment like torches, reels etc, and is not as durable.

I think you're probably best to start with the smaller, more easily packed and transported gear - computer, mask and fins. If you feel the need you can always look at reg & BC purchase later down the track once you've worked out exactly what you need.

Hope this helps :)

Good advice from Pearlman. Also I would add that if you intend to visit or return to your own country (Europe/North America?) you will find much better deals there. I recently purchased a new regulator set when visiting the UK which cost the equivelent of 12,500 THB. The exact same set was 'on offer' at TDEX for 25,000 THB!

Yes you are right. in my experience this applies to most diving equipment in Thailand. I would only buy something here if I had absolutely no other choice. Anything I need I always buy when back in the UK.
Many imports to Thailand such as dive equipment attract quite heavy import duties, couple that with the limited competition. End result, high prices to the customer.

Also depending on where the OP comes from, should he decide he wanted to dive in cold water at home some items, such as the lightweight travel kit that has been suggested above may not be suitable.

If you live in BKK I would visit the larger shops and at least narrow your search down to tow or three different kits. Not all BCDs fit or function identically...find what works for you.

When I was doing a lot of traveling I traveled with mask, fins and "Regulator & Computer". The large and bulky BCD or BP/W I would rent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom