Buying first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm soon going to be in the market to buy my first regulator, octo, etc. Would love to buy new but just can't afford that right now. Can I buy all the different pieces (1st stage, 2nd, octo, console) from different manufacturers and have them all assembled at a LDS? Would that work? Thanks.

Work, yes, a good idea, it depends. You can pretty much mix and match regs as you like from an operation standpoint. The problem is one dive shop is not likely able and/or willing to service mixed brands. Now if you intend to service your own gear, then mix away. Used can be a great value but include the cost of a full service to the purchase price ($100-175).

I would recommend buying a complete setup. As the LDS in my area said, when people do that he makes them pay. How much he charges I don't know.

I would recommend buying a complete setup. As the LDS in my area said, when people do that he makes them pay. How much he charges I don't know.
Given that attitude toward customer service, I'd find a new LDS.

Mix and match is fine, your potential problem is IP incompatibility. Just remember that it is hard (not impossible, but hard) to mix Poseidon with anything else.

Just how much do you think a new reg set will cost you? Perhaps you are looking at the wrong shops and wrong models/manufacturers? Take a look at my website to see what you can get a new, complete set for. Or shoot me a PM. And if instead you'd wait until Black Friday you may be kicking yourself for buying used and trying to cobble together a set.

Given that attitude toward customer service, I'd find a new LDS.

When I moved to Miami in 2006 I needed a hydro and a VIP on my tank. I called around and no one at the time wanted to touch it because it was over 15 years old (born in 1990 or 1991). He was the only one in town at the time that was willing handle it. So I use him for VIPs and fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom