buying first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!:
As for tissue compartments, it’s just a mathematical model that has little pragmatic value for the recreational diver…the “accuracy” of tissue compartment modeling is entirely unknown.
Explain how tables like the RDP, Navy, NOAA that are based on tissue compartment modeling and have hundreds of thousands of dives proving their veracity don't have pragmatic value? How much more pragmatic can you get than to substantially test the tables in the real world?

GoBlue!:
I’ll leave the “dumb blond” crack alone, but you may want to pick up ”Diving Physiology in Plain English” by Jolie Bookspan.

Do they have it translated into blond? Oh, heck, I'll use my secret decoder ring and matching handbag set. I'll do just fine. :wink: Actually, it's on my Christmas list. I'm attempting to control the urge to buy it myself.

pennypue:
Larry, did you ever notice where the bottom timer/ DIR guys live? They don't have pretty fish in the water. So they need something else to do to preoccupy their time. :D
So, how's the diving in the Coyahoga anyway? :D

Jimmie
(please don't get mad, I'm just teasing you!)

I was in the same spot about six months ago. I ended buying the Sherwood Wisdom. I got it at an local dive shop tent sale so I saved a few bucks, recommend you look for an event like that. The Wisdom is an air integrated console with a compass built in. It handles air and nitrox. Works great and it has a very elegant PC interface so I dump all the dives onto the laptop (details, graphs, etc.). I'm into computers what can I say. There are several at this price point with similar features. Shop around. Make sure it has a backlight (lighted interface).

kalvyn:
So, how's the diving in the Coyahoga anyway? :D

Jimmie
(please don't get mad, I'm just teasing you!)

giggle
Jimmie, get out that map and put away that compass.........apparently you're too far north for it to work correctly. :11:
The Cuyahoga river flows into Lake Erie. This is where Cleveland is located. But if you go four hours (use your bottom timer) south (away from the big lake) you will find the Ohio River (it flows into the Mississippi River), this where Cincinnati is located. :D
I live in Cincinnati.
:evil:

pennypue:
giggle
Jimmie, get out that map and put away that compass.........apparently you're too far north for it to work correctly. :11:
The Cuyahoga river flows into Lake Erie. This is where Cleveland is located. But if you go four hours (use your bottom timer) south (away from the big lake) you will find the Ohio River (it flows into the Mississippi River), this where Cincinnati is located. :D
I live in Cincinnati.
:evil:
Well heck... at least I was in the right state! So how 'bout that Ken Griffey Jr., anyway?

Anyway... so, how's the diving in the Ohio these days? :D

Jimmie
(ok, so it wasn't even funny the first time)

kalvyn:
Well heck... at least I was in the right state! So how 'bout that Ken Griffey Jr., anyway?

Anyway... so, how's the diving in the Ohio these days? :D

Jimmie
(ok, so it wasn't even funny the first time)
Actually Jimmie, it would be even funnier if I so did look so longingly and pathetically at the Ohio River when I drive over the bridge. We do however have some very fine rock quarries with all manner of garbage planted for my viewing pleasure.

You know you have a diving problem when you drive by a farm field loaded with 30 years worth of old cars and farm machinery and think "Wouldn't that be cool to dive....."

Jimmie, can you save me??? Is there hope?

pennypue:
You know you have a diving problem when you drive by a farm field loaded with 30 years worth of old cars and farm machinery and think "Wouldn't that be cool to dive....."

Jimmie, can you save me??? Is there hope?
I don't think there's hope, Penny. Fortunately the therapy is easy and fun... just jump in and dive! :) If you lived where the water doesn't catch fire from time to time you might have more options, though. :D If you leave now, you can join OverexposedX2 and I tomorrow night for one of my favorite WA dives to date... Day Island Wall. You need a diving fix, don't you? :D

When we go anywhere on a ferry or any boat for that matter, we always say exactly what you said above -- "Wouldn't that be cool to dive!?!?" The ferry ride up from Tsawwassen to Vancouver Island in BC produces many such moments for us.

Jimmie

stsomewhere:
Explain how tables like the RDP, Navy, NOAA that are based on tissue compartment modeling and have hundreds of thousands of dives proving their veracity don't have pragmatic value? How much more pragmatic can you get than to substantially test the tables in the real world?

What I'm saying is that looking at little tissue compartment loading graphs following a dive do not help a recreational diver plan their next dive.

(That aside, you cannot draw the conclusion that tissue loading models are accurate simply because there is a low probability of getting bent based on a theoretical tissue loading model.)

Jim

kalvyn:
If you leave now, you can join OverexposedX2 and I tomorrow night for one of my favorite WA dives to date... Day Island Wall. You need a diving fix, don't you? :D

When we go anywhere on a ferry or any boat for that matter, we always say exactly what you said above -- "Wouldn't that be cool to dive!?!?" The ferry ride up from Tsawwassen to Vancouver Island in BC produces many such moments for us.
Ah, I would if I could!!!! Will you have any photos of Day Island Wall? And do any of you DIR boys do photography? I'm not sure if you're allowed . :) Actually, I would like to do the dir=f class. But not quite yet. I tend to become a bit of a perfectionist and a bit obsessive about things. But I'm not into Kool-aid, so I could be a bit of trouble as a convert. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom