buying first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim,
I agree one can use a bottom timer and depth gauge to get similar results to that which is compiled by a dive computer, but I think I'd much rather spend my dive for the reason I dive, looking about me to enjoy the alien environment, not manually recording a bunch of numbers . . . I get enough of that at work every day.

Well, I took the plunge last night. After mulling over an Oceanic Data Pro Plus, a Suunto Cobra, an Aeries AI and the Sherwood Wisdom, I went with the Sherwood Wisdom.

Couldn’t beat the price at Scubatoys, and it’s the same computer my dive buddy uses, so I already know a lot on how it works. I didn’t get the PC link stuff as yet, as even at Scubatoys prices, it’s expensive. Next planned dives are for the weekend of the 20th, to try out drysuits at DUI Dog Days. I might have to sneak into a pool to try this baby out before then.

Charley

JimC:
I apologize for the insult, I did not intend it that way.

My main point is you can get all the same data, cheaper. If your as inteligent as you seem to be, using a bottom timer to do multi-level dives should be a breeze. You might even get off on it since you need to do all the computer vodo your self.

Sensus pro has a palm program, and it has an open sources interface so you can easily write your own.
:D I didn't really think you did.....but I like to occasionally abuse the DIR crowd for assuming that if you want a gadget it's because your brain doesn't work or that you aren't going to use it. It's never a good idea to assume. But no offense taken, I just like to swat back once in a while. Keeps me happy :wink: .

JimC:
I apologize for the insult, I did not intend it that way.

My main point is you can get all the same data, cheaper. If your as inteligent as you seem to be, using a bottom timer to do multi-level dives should be a breeze. You might even get off on it since you need to do all the computer vodo your self.

Sensus pro has a palm program, and it has an open sources interface so you can easily write your own.

Ok... I must admit... I'm a bit confused here... You don't trust a computer during a dive, but you trust a different computer to take info you've recoreded during a dive to help calculate the next dive?

Call me new fashioned... but looking at charts and tables is not my idea of fun. If you don't trust computers, then make sure you do your checkbook on paper - don't use quicken, skip on line banking, don't drive a car made in the last 30 years... and if you disagree... Please mail me a response with the post office... don't PM.

Of course the other option is to have a redundant computer... that's less than $300 - and my time of doing charts, graphs, notes, etc is worth much more than that when I've flown half way around the world to get a picture of a manta... I don't want to be stopping to calculate my time at given depths as I'm swimming after him.

Larry, did you ever notice where the bottom timer/ DIR guys live? They don't have pretty fish in the water. So they need something else to do to preoccupy their time. :D

thanks for all the great advice since i first posted my question... i have narrowed down my search to the cressi archimedes and the oceanic versa pro-- both fit my price range and seem to have all the features i need as i continue to "grow as a diver"! i have read good reviews of both computers here, and in other dive websites/magazines. but, i did read one report that complained about the oceanic being far too liberal with decompression diving. while i am not anywhere near deco diving, and don't know that i ever will be, i do want to stay safe and leave my options open. anyone have any input on this? has anyone else been worried about the oceanic or had trouble with it?

i'm thinking maybe the cressi is a better choice, but i have also read the argument that with a more liberal computer you always have the choice to go more conservative, while with a conservative computer it is harder to go more liberal....

any advice is welcomed-- i leave for honduras this weekend and i want to have time to read an instruction manual before i go!!!

Scren,
I think the second paragraph of your last post should solve your conumdrum.

I've been diving an Oceanic Data-Max Pro Plus for the last 5-6 years and love it. But at the same time, I ALWAYS plan my dive, record it on a small slate and take it with me.

Keep in mind that ALL dive computers are designed to keep you safe if you follow the instructions and, at the same time, use the computer that God gave you.

scren:
thanks for all the great advice since i first posted my question... i have narrowed down my search to the cressi archimedes and the oceanic versa pro-- both fit my price range and seem to have all the features i need as i continue to "grow as a diver"! i have read good reviews of both computers here, and in other dive websites/magazines. but, i did read one report that complained about the oceanic being far too liberal with decompression diving. while i am not anywhere near deco diving, and don't know that i ever will be, i do want to stay safe and leave my options open. anyone have any input on this? has anyone else been worried about the oceanic or had trouble with it?

i'm thinking maybe the cressi is a better choice, but i have also read the argument that with a more liberal computer you always have the choice to go more conservative, while with a conservative computer it is harder to go more liberal....

any advice is welcomed-- i leave for honduras this weekend and i want to have time to read an instruction manual before i go!!!

I've been diving the Oceanic Versa Pro for 3 years now, & given that I'm conservative in nature & choose to ONLY dive no-deco, IMHO it really doesn't matter how liberal this computer may be. I find the graphic display on this computer an important feature with the premise I never go into the yellow - in fact I set the alarm to go off when the last green dot just BEFORE the yellow illuminates, & then begin my ascent to upper "gas off" depths. I've used other computers before I purchased this one, & this one by far seems the most user friendly & feature loaded for the money. BTW - I just got back from Roatan, & given the 19 dives I did in 6 days, this was a true test to staying "connected" to what my computer was telling me. Still, I plan my dive & dive my plan & its easy to do when you can do simulations on this computer. Have fun in Honduras!

MN Lakeman:
I've been diving the Oceanic Versa Pro for 3 years now, & given that I'm conservative in nature & choose to ONLY dive no-deco, IMHO it really doesn't matter how liberal this computer may be. I find the graphic display on this computer an important feature with the premise I never go into the yellow - in fact I set the alarm to go off when the last green dot just BEFORE the yellow illuminates, & then begin my ascent to upper "gas off" depths. I've used other computers before I purchased this one, & this one by far seems the most user friendly & feature loaded for the money. BTW - I just got back from Roatan, & given the 19 dives I did in 6 days, this was a true test to staying "connected" to what my computer was telling me. Still, I plan my dive & dive my plan & its easy to do when you can do simulations on this computer. Have fun in Honduras!
I second the remarks made here. I used my Versa Pro on two liveaboard trips - Fiji (23 dives in 5.5 days) and Palau (25 dives in 5.5 days). I also set the alarm to go off on the last green bar. On my two trips, using Nitrox, I NEVER went into the yellow (max depth 110 feet).

The computer between your ears is a wonderful adjunct to the one on your wrist.:10:

I know I’m late coming into the thread, but….

RICoder:
I don't want to take this thread in the direction of computer vs. analog, but I would strongly recomend getting an air integrated computer...and this is my number one reason: My entire "official" log book is now printed 8.5x11 logs provided by Suunto Dive Manager 1.6. It captures EVERYTHING, and I religiously fill in the details of gear and notes. I can go back 3 years and see tissue saturation, air consumption, graphical dive profiles, every alarm (oops), bottom time, everything. There is just no way that a manual dive log can be as accurate or as complete.

I’ll give you that graphing an accurate depth profile is more difficult without a computer, but other than that, I’d argue that the rest you could do just fine without a computer. Air consumption is a no-brainer, only requiring a few pieces of data. Bottom time is noted with a simple watch. As for tissue compartments, it’s just a mathematical model that has little pragmatic value for the recreational diver…the “accuracy” of tissue compartment modeling is entirely unknown.

RICoder:
If for no other reason, I would argue that this is the single most important and best investment I made in diving...and the one I get the most out of.

Really? I’m surprised that you would describe a computer as “the single most important…investment….” You can dive without a computer, but you sure couldn’t dive without a regulator & tank.

RICoder:
I put the likelyhood of a computer failing right up there next to the likelyhood of an analog gauge failing…. I'd argue that serious computers (i.e. Suunto / Uwatec / et al) are very much more robust, durable and reliable than, say, your normal air gauge.

Really? Any data to back this up? I’ll admit that I don’t have any hard data either, but anecdotally I’ve heard of far more computers failing at depth than analog gauges….and that includes Suunto….that are well-maintained by anal-retentive buddies of mine.

pennypue:
Yes it does sound crazy! I am a very "shallow" breather so I was thinking that if I don't suck in as many molecules of nitrogen that less would stick in my tissues.......

Your lungs are very efficient. Doesn’t matter how shallow you breathe, you’ll be absorbing N2 at the same rate as deep breathing at similar depth. Shallow breathing will only increase your CO2 retention, by increasing your physologic dead space, and the subsequent problems that arise.

pennypue:
well that does make some sense......i think i'm gonna get one of those books on dive physics to read......got any favorites written in dumb blond?

I’ll leave the “dumb blond” crack alone, but you may want to pick up ”Diving Physiology in Plain English” by Jolie Bookspan.

RICoder:
...but I find my computer keeps me sane underwater by giving me instant access to important data that has to be calculated.

What important data are you referring to?

Now, you’re probably thinking that I’m some sort of anti-computer DIR guy. I’m not. I actually dive a Suunto Vyper & analog spg. I bought it after 8 years of diving an analog depth & spg & a Casio G-shock watch on my wrist. I primarily bought it to satisfy dive ops in touristy areas that wouldn’t feel comfortable with a multilevel dive plan. But, I do not for one second think that I’m diving “safer” now because I have a computer on my wrist. I’m just as aware of my depth & air consumption at all times now as I was when running in “analog mode.”

In addition, it’s always good to throw in the reminder that computers are simply a mathematical model, and you can get bent with them just as you can get bent by staying within the tables (another mathematicaly model). In fact, if you’re a believer in RGBM, it’s important to realize that most of the computers that appear to be “RGBM” (e.g., Suunto), really aren’t. Their “modified RGBM” algorithm is only very loosely associated with RGBM theory as far as I can tell.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom