Buying Equipment

If you could only afford to buy one peice of equipment what would it be?

• Regulators

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • BC

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Exposure Suit

Votes: 17 34.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Dive Computer
2. Mask, Fins, and Knife
3. Exposure suit
4. Regulator (1st and 2nd stage)
5. BC
6. Dive light

.....and learn how to use it. It will make your diving more enjoyable in many ways. It will extend your bottom time. It will free you from reliance on dive tables. It will help you monitor your ascent rate. It will allow you to go back over your dive profiles and see what you may be doing wrong.

Every peice of gear can be rented, including computers. But you must understand a computer in order to use it effectively. They don't all work alike. Buy your own and familiarize yourself with it. The kind of mistakes you can make during a dive due to an unfamiliar computer can end up getting you bent or worse.

For example, I recently dove on a liveaboard with someone (not my buddy, just a guy on the boat) who did not recognize that he had gone into deco on his unfamiliar computer. Not only did he go into deco, he failed to do the required stops. He ended up locked out of his computer and prohibited from diving by the boat's captain.

Buy your own computer and learn to use it.

Which piece of equipment to you want to be the cleanest. That is the one you want to buy first. :lala:

I went for a Dive Computer first. This also had a lot to do with the kind of diving I do....generally guided tour/vacation boat diving, in some somewhat out of the way places....at that time I generally didn't know much about the shop or DM I was diving with.

I never felt unsafe with any of my rental gear, but I did have an experience where I wasn't sure I liked the profile that the DM set for us.....this way no matter what happens I feel safer.

I know there are ways I can do this in my head as well.....but I'd rather let the computer keep track of it all.

I bought Reg and BC together to get a "large purchase" discount, but my original plan was to buy a reg first. I still haven't bought a wetsuit, since my club has one that fits me fine and I borrow it for free...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom