Buying equipment DIR compatible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPhantomas

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a full gear for technical diving. This is my first equipment, and I'm trying to Do It Right :))
Some I bought already, and some I'm going to order online (there is no Halcyon dealers around here)

The really like the DIR approach, so I'm reading a lot of stuff, and still have some questions, as there is nobody to ask here in Israel.

So, there they go:

1. Is the Scubapro MK25/S600 system DIR compatible?

2. I understand I need two primary second stages. So, do I need to change the R380 Octopus?

3. My LDS want to charge like $40 for changing the primary hose to a 2m one. Does that make sense?

4. Is the Scubapro compass DIR compatible? I cannot figure out how to read a 2 degree compass.....

5. Is the Scubapro Mini Pressure Gauge DIR compatible? I really don't know what is the requierement for this.

6. As for Halcyon ACB weight system, I think 20lbs is enough. Should I buy the 30lbs, just in case, and for having the extra D-Ring for the SPG?

Well, just a few questions for a start. Hope there is anybody that knows enough about DIR to help me :)

DPhantomas ,

SP are good regs, but a little tempermental. Look at the Apex TX-50 or TX-100. For doubles, it looks lik the 100 routes the hoses better. And they cost less than SP. You can order online @ diveinn.com or go to your LDS. With the hoses, if you need to change all the hoses, Halcyon sells double and single tank DIR hose kits. They have the all the right length.

The SPG - The mini should be ok, can you read it on the fly? Brass is better than plastic.

The price for the hose - not sure

The compass - don't know.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Eric

I'm sorry I cant help with the rest of your questions, however I would suggest that you buy/install/use a "7 foot" hose, not a "2 meter" hose.

A seven foot hose it about 2.10 meters, and those extra 10cm can make a lot of difference in comfort.

I would also suggest you look at the Apeks regulators, but even if not, check the prices/services of diveinn. They have good prices and hopefully can deliver to Israel.

If you are serious about getting a full rig of DIR gear, I highly recommend spending 30 dollars or so and joining GUE to get on the Quest list and access to the archives. You can get answers to your questions straight from the horses mouth.

Irvine swears by Apeks regs, for hoses I recommend the ones from Extreme Exposure, not sure of the brand or type, but they are noticeably softer/more flexible and you can also get a kit with all the right sizes. I recommend getting the doubles set as it has the 7' hose, which is the one you want, though they would probably switch it out for you. I am not familiar with the Scubapro compass, strict dir would really just put one on the left wrist with bungees. I think most pictures I see are Suunto sk6. I have an sk7 that is a good bit larger, but is very easy to use as it has a high degree of pitch.

The pressure guage just needs to be without boots or anything and on the shorter hose.

I don't use the ACBs.

Tommy

Tommy

Thank you all for your answers.
I'll refine some of the questions.

About the regulators, I've already bought the Scubapro, as I was told they are the best, and I read a few threads about them here too. The question is if they are DIR compatible, hope they are and hope they are as good as the Apex too :)

I'll change my primary hose to a 7" indeed. My LDS says its better to use Scubapro's hoses for the quality, specialy with such a long hose. Hope they are flexible as well, as they need to bend well around my neck.

The question about the compass is that I read it needs to have a 2 degrees precision. Is that right??? Mine meassures every 10 degress...
What precission needs the SPG to have (in meters). Mine is every 10 meters.

Now, about the Octopus, should I changed it for a primary regulator? What is the difference? The same R380 comes as a primary regulator as well. Is is a problem if it is yellow like every octopus or is there something else?

I don't think there is such a thing as a "DIR-compatible" regulator. There are recommendations on types of regulators for different diving conditions (mostly in regards to cold water, and the ability for the second stage to be opened without tools underwater in case of malfunction or contamination). Just keep the Scubapro and use it.

The R380 will be on a short 22" hose, and have a loop of bungee or surgical tubing attached to the mouthpiece, which you wear around your neck like a necklace. It would be preferable if it was not yellow, but if you already own it, don't worry. Usually, if a second stage regulator is offered in both "octopus" and "primary" models, the only difference is the yellow colour. I was fortunate that my TX40 and TX50 have interchangable faceplates - I was able to swap them so that my primary regulator in my mouth now has the yellow faceplate, as that's the one my buddy should be going for in an out-of-air situation. Just makes it a little more obvious. Hopefully your dive buddies will be taking the DIR approach as well, so they will know that your primary reg is the one they will be receiving or taking in an OOA.

Not sure about the compass - I have a Suunto SK6 which is 5 degree divisions. Any smaller and it would be too difficult to read.

I also use a metric SPG - I haven't seen anything available in less than 10 bar increments. The importance of the scale is to allow precise comparisons to your buddy's gas supply, and to allow for gas planning, such as the rule of 1/3rds, where you only use 1/3rd of your gas supply doing an overhead penetration before turning back. Yours sounds fine for a metric SPG.

Ben

Thank you Ben, you were really helpful.

I haven't used the R380 yet, so I guess won't have any problem to change it.

Back
Top Bottom