Buying dive gear is a pain in the a**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
First, some background.

I've been diving a long time (20 years), although I don't dive as often as I'd like - sometimes go a couple years between dives. Me and the wife have been diving more in the past few years and have finally decided to take the plunge and buy our own gear (we've had basic stuff for a long time, only now going all the way to buy our own BCDs, regs, computers, etc.).

I'm fairly picky about my stuff. Maybe a bit more than some consumers, but certainly not excessively so, compared to lots of others in this sport. For any kind of tech purchases, I tend to do extensive research on the net, check out reviews, shop around, etc. I don't think that's particularly unusual. Yes, price is an issue for me, but it's not necessarily the biggest issue for me (which may set me apart from the average "consumer" - I stay out of WalMart and try to support local businesses). I'm fine with paying a bit more to keep the local shop in business....up to a point, and as long as I feel like they are actually doing something to earn my business (other than just existing).

I have been doing my online research (lots of it here on ScubaBoard) and shopping the local dive shops. I must say that so far, I have been consistently unimpressed with my experiences at the local shops. Lots of "selling", not a lot of knowledge about what I'm looking for, quite a bit of attitude, and a general sense that the folks there seem to be a bunch of slackers who could care less if they are providing any kind of service. Yet, even with all those negatives, I'm still willing to pay a premium there (over what I could pay online) - and I'm talking about probably $3k - $4k of gear, perhaps a bit more, when we're done.

But I don't think that it's even possible for me to do this business with any of my local dive shops even if I wanted to.

After countless hours of research, I've (more or less) settled on a particular set of gear for BCDs (Cressi) and regs (Atomic). There are a bunch of dive shops within 100 miles of me (US west coast, major metro area). None of them carry what I'm looking for. In fact, as I've been trying to narrow down my choices, I started out with about half a dozen BCDs under consideration (from ScubaPro, Aqualung, Mares and Cressi). Considering about a dozen BCD models, I found just two of them could be found "locally" (within 2 hours drive), and that was only after quite a bit of research.

Based on research I've done online, I'm just about settled on a Cressi Travelight BCD. I do understand that Cressi is not one of the biggest brands, but it doesn't seem all that exotic, either. I can only find one dealer nearby who is listed as a Cressi dealer, but they tell me they don't actually stock any of that brand. They "can probably order one" for me, but I can't try it on before committing to the sale (even standing in the store, dry - never mind diving with it).

This begs the question: the dive shops have really been no help at all (to put it mildly) in choosing the BCD (they have consistently tried to sell me on things that do not meet the specific criteria that I explained to them). They're no help in assuring a good fit, either (must buy before having the privilege of trying it on). I can probably get the one local shop that technically is a Cressi dealer to order one for me and hand it to me after I pay them - but what exactly am I paying them the extra money for? I figure that if I can't even look at one of them (never mind trying the darn thing on to check fit and comfort before committing to buy it), I can get the same degree of "service" (actually, better service) by just buying online.

Note that I don't think the issue here is just that there are few Cressi dealers nearby (or that I'm settling on a second- or third-tier brand). When I was looking at gear from other brands, it seemed equally or nearly as impossible to find the gear locally and actually look at and touch it before committing to a purchase, even from some of the biggest names in the business.

In this case I feel like I've almost forced to buy online, because they offer the selection options I'm looking for, and (let's just say) "service" that's as good as the LDS. Heck, some of the online shops will let you exchange for size if you have mis-estimated the size you ordered - the LDS won't even do that.

If I end up spending $4000 online for our gear (as I'm currently leaning), that's not because it'll save me a few hundred bucks. It's because the local shops have been unable or unwilling to do anything for me.

It shouldn't be that hard to spend $4k locally on this stuff (or more likely $4.5k to $5, without the internet pricing). This seems crazy to me.

OK, rant over.

I sure wish it was easier to buy this stuff. Seems like it could be a real barrier to entry to the sport for many people - doesn't do the industry any good.

Or am I just crazy?

Not sure what kind of dive shops you have been in but I have yet to go into a shop that did not allow you to try on any gear for fit and function before you made a purchase. You did say that you go a few years between dives and even though you are "diving more" in the past few years, are you going to be diving enough to make a gear purchase worth the investment? Where on the west coast do you live? I am sure someone on here will direct you to a good dive shop if they had a better idea of where you are located.

I don't understand your dive shops in the area. You seem to be running into some bad luck with customer service and product/need knowledge. Also, I don't think your crazy! You just want knowledgeable people to help your equipment needs. With that being said, buying online is a great place to purchase your gear. Most of the time, you can buy & try, and if it doesn't work then just return it.

Good luck with your quest.

I would go ahead and buy online. You're not doing anything shameful! I have had a similar experience trying to support a local dive shop, and having to wait on poor/slow service made me miss some diving fun. Last year I made some purchases from from Leisure Pro online, and it was quick, trouble-free and a good value.

I understand, NW . . . the shops have "x, y, and z" in stock. Ordering something elsee when they are probably desperately trying to move what they have in stock is not a "win" with them. They may even have stretched their credit beyond appropriate means with the manufacturers. I don't know, I am hypothisizing.

You can go two ways -- order what you want from on line and see if you like it. Either keep it or return it to the on-line retailer.

If you like it and can support an LDS, return it and order it from your LDS.

Sorry, but this economy sucks like :koh: and the LDS are struggling right now.

Not sure what kind of dive shops you have been in but I have yet to go into a shop that did not allow you to try on any gear for fit and function before you made a purchase. You did say that you go a few years between dives and even though you are "diving more" in the past few years, are you going to be diving enough to make a gear purchase worth the investment? Where on the west coast do you live? I am sure someone on here will direct you to a good dive shop if they had a better idea of where you are located.

Actually what I meant (not sure if it came across) was that although there have been periods during my 20+ years of diving when I would go 2 years (or more) between dive *trips*, I have been diving a lot more in recent years (1-2 trips per year, 20-30 dives per trip).

More to your question, though: it's not that dive shops won't let you try on a BC that they have in stock. It's that they just don't have much in stock, only seem to stick to one or two manufacturers, and only carry a few BCs from those manufacturers.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting the stuff from scuba.com, mostly because they seem like a fairly reliable source and they carry it all. I have bought stuff from them and from LiesurePro in the past and have had no issues. I'd give scubatoys a shot but they don't do Cressi.

I can order online with no guilt, but just wish the local dive shops would give me a chance to give them a chance to compete - just to borrow a phrase.

And yes, lionfish do suck. We saw lots of 'em on every dive off Little Cayman this spring (and pointed them out to our DMs who were on search-and-destroy missions). I'm looking forward to diving their native habitat this fall where we can just admire their looks and not feel like they are a pest to be hunted down.

Just buy on-line you are right, you can return it for shipping fees only, not a bad deal. perfect fit dive gear is hard wether lds or on-line........ Now you have not been to all lds, cause someone has got to fit your diving needs to a point. you can buy here on sb, craigslist, ebay, buy dirt cheap and sell dirt cheap if not happy. The other thing is keep it its cheap. I have over 25 bcd;s. filling tanks now and looked over 10 BP/W's, 10 jackets and weight intergrated, and alot of vintage. Granted I only got one from craigslist. But point being there are several ways to dive and have enough dry gear ready to go to do all of it. so if you have an extra bcd it's not the end of the world.

Although I am out of the lds realm where I live on south whidbey. I know your frustration and everytime a shop closes one opens, you find one you like, and get air and you will be happy for awhile. Hook up with dive clubs, divers let you borrow gear to try.

Happy Diving

I think the issue is the LDS doesn't have the BCD in stock to try on and they won't order it unless you buy it.
If it doesn't fit, you're stuck with it,"All Sales are Final" crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom