Buying a used bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is on the FB Marketplace site, there is a never been used one on EBay , more expensive but less then half the new price:
Aqua Lung BCD/ Aqualung Pearl i3 BCD/ Womens size S /PINK & BLACK | eBay
Also this one on the FB Market place [not far from you].
Scubapro LadyHawk BCD Size Small
$295
The Scubapro would be my choice.

The lady with the pearl on eBay says she’s about my size and feels it would work. She’s even said she’d take it back if it didn’t. Seems legit. I like dealing with eBay so I think I’ll go for it after all unless anyone says not to.

Yes, the Hydros. Wouldn't mind giving that one a try myself but, lol, not going to happen.
Yes it would be nice , I have a shed full of gear now.
The lady with the pearl on eBay says she’s about my size and feels it would work. She’s even said she’d take it back if it didn’t. Seems legit. I like dealing with eBay so I think I’ll go for it after all unless anyone says not to.
Good, test it [ if you can] oral inflate it if don't have a cylinder and regulator, if it is 'cactus' [Aussie term, slang] walk away as there more on offer.
Over and out.

Do you understand what the i3 is with the levers and the straw in the shoulder

Julius is right, if you are a new diver stick with an inflator system you know .
One thing to note is that you need to be aware that your inflator is now on your side, so you can accidentally let air into your BCD by hitting the lever on the inflator.

Here's a different perspective. First, there is no legitimate way to call a recreational BC 'life support.' If it fails, and they occasionally do, you don't die, unless you are diving in a grossly incompetent manner. You just swim to the surface and drop your weights once you're there. Second, I would go with the simplest, most minimal BC you can find, and I would not spend any serious amount of money on it. These things are very simple devices, and almost anything will do the job as long as it reasonably fits.

That said, the type of BC you use can have a really big impact on how your dive feels, but it's not so much a difference between brands, it's a difference between types. The best ones IMO 'disappear' in the water, with very little padding and/or clutter in your chest and torso area. They can also influence your trim by dictating the weight distribution. If you are diving with aluminum tanks, you might consider trying a steel backplate with webbing harness and a compact aircell. These tend to have the best weight distribution for the buoyant AL tanks and there is typically very little extraneous plastic and padding which tends to add to your positive buoyancy, requiring more weight to dive with.

Usually it takes some experience to really feel the difference between these types of BCs, so since you're a new diver, try something simple and inexpensive, standard inflator connection, and do some dives with it. Once you get some more experience you can try different types, including a backplate, and then make a more informed decision about what would fit your diving.

For now, just keep in mind that for many very experienced divers, less is more when it comes to BCs. This is almost opposite from the way the big companies tend to sell their recreational BCs in shops. A big reason for this is because BCs in dive shops are displayed and tried on in the shop, which clearly is a completely different environment than in the water where you would be using it.

No.
I know what you mean about stick with what I know but I’ve used two lost of rental gear and those second time was with the dive I did and the pushy guy there set it up for me which I whined about on another post. Point is I’m not fully set with any system or used to it if that makes sense? I’d rather get to know any system well with my own stuff and then I’ll be more comfortable.
If you could explain the levers that would be great . I’m guessing it’s inflation?

Not only that if I want a used woman’s one I’m limited. Not that many no doubt. I just saw the words “perfect buoyancy control “ in a review for the Pearl and that’s something I had an issue with this last dive compared to the training dives which I didn’t have that issue. A topic for another thread but during my training I used a bcd with integrated weights vs the last dive with a belt. It went well. Training dive was pretty consistent depth at about 7.5 metres vs much variation at 5-6 metres the last dive. I bounced up and down like a cork.

Deleted post.
Sent message.

I do not have a message???^^^^^^^^^

Also thanks all. To be clear, I value all the advice and need it. I was suggesting another perspective of even though the Pearl may have some extras and there is a learning curve, would that not still be better than rental gear that has been abused and having to use all different types all the time? I would have to do that as the women's BCD's brand new tend to be pricey, even the more basic ones. When I did look up women's bcd online the Pearl is one mentioned often. As for starter BCD's. the one in my price range is the Cressi BUT that needs a belt. So, this is where I am at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom