Buying a used BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlowWorm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found a used BC on craigslist that I was thinking about buying. The girl said it's only been used 5 times and she is asking 200 for it. It looks nice in the picture and it's a seaquest. I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet, but I don't have much knowledge about diving equipment yet so I don't really know what to look for specifically when I go to try it on. Do you guys think 200 is a good price? I was going to offer 150 for it. When I looked up other seaquest BCs the lowest price I found was in the 300s.

On a used BC I figure about 50% of original selling price at most depending on model. There are others that hold their value better but for most jacket styles that's about where to begin. On a bc that has supposedly only been used 5 times I would expect to see a BC that looks practically like it came right off the rack. A few small scratches on the backplate and maybe a few small marks on the inflator are the only things you should see. There should be no fraying or fading of the material at all. The buttons on the inflator should be smooth and operate easily. Orally inflate it and make sure it does not leak. The problem is that a small leak may not show up for several hours just sitting out of the water. If it has weight pockets they should also look pristine on a BC with so little use and snap in securely and yet remove with just a firm pull. The other issue you may run into has to deal with size. One of the reasons I don't care for off the shelf sizes and no longer use a system that I have to try and fit into rather than adjust it to fit me like my Express Tech or my BPW's. When you go to try it on remember, that unless you take your wetsuit that you will most likely be diving it with, there is a very good chance that the fit may be nothing like what it is with just street clothes or a even a bathing suit.

One of the things I like to do with all my students and those who come to me for help selecting a BC (one service I offer is to go with a person to ANY LDS and help them select their gear based on their needs and not just what the shop wants to sell them at the time) is to have them try on different models and do that if possible in their suit. Or have them take a heavier article of clothing like a jacket or heavy sweat shirt to just get an idea of how the unit may fit. Is there a more experienced diver you can take with you to look it over? One who only has your interests at heart?

That is one of the reasons I started to offer the gear selection service option. I made some very expensive choices for gear in the beginning that a year later were mostly no longer suitable for the diving I wanted to do or just did not work for me. I don't like to see people go through that. A couple shops don't really like that I do this but too bad. I'm looking out for the people who hire me to help them not get taken advantage of.

If you'd like more advice on what specifically to look for shoot me a PM or call at 724-255-3765. I'd be happy to help and while on the phone try and look up the specific model you are considering and advise you on what items you should pay special attention to on it when checking it out. I should be in all day today to take calls and this weekend I'll be diving. If a PM works better for you I just need to know how old the unit is and what model. Size would be a help and if it is weight integrated.

Hi GlowWarm,

Sea Quest makes some nice B.C.'s.

Is it weight integrated?

Does it have an auto-inflator or integrated reg./ auto-inflator?

Most Importantly does it fit you with the wetsuit(s) that you are going to be wearing?

While $200 (or $150) may be a very fair price for a barely used BCD, if it turn out to not be what you want for the long term, you may end up with a replacement purchase in just a year or 2. Another option is to go with an older, well used BCD priced in the $25 to $50 range knowing you will replace it in a shot time. Such buys may be available locally but ebay is another great option. Look for sellers with lots of history and good ratings. (Some of those are LDSs unloading stuff they could not recycle locally.) Only consider those that are offered as used but in good working order. And then test it when you receive it before you leave good feedback. A friend of mine did this (at my recommendation) and got a BCD with a few leaks in the bladder. The seller replaced that BCD with one that was "fully functional" and told her to keep the defective one as he did not want to pay return shipping. I gave her $25 for it, repaired the leaks with a little Aquaseal, and passed it on to another fairly new diver who used it for a couple years.

photo 1 (1).jpgphoto 2.jpg
These are the pictures she sent me. I'm kind of a small person so finding a used one that would fit me will be hard I think, the one I'm using for my check out dives is too big but it's the smallest one they had. The girl said she is 5'2 and 105 and that's a little bigger than me but I think it might be close enough which is why I'm hoping it works! I have a really tight budget so a new one is kind of out of the picture.

Unfortunately I don't know any experienced divers that can go with me so that's why I'm asking you guys haha. I asked her what the model is and she said she would get back to me on that. I can't go look at it until Monday because I'm doing my checkout dives this weekend. Also I don't have my own wetsuit yet so I can't try it on with one of those. The sweatshirt idea is good though, I'll probably do that,

n
View attachment 130101View attachment 130102
These are the pictures she sent me. I'm kind of a small person so finding a used one that would fit me will be hard I think, the one I'm using for my check out dives is too big but it's the smallest one they had. The girl said she is 5'2 and 105 and that's a little bigger than me but I think it might be close enough which is why I'm hoping it works! I have a really tight budget so a new one is kind of out of the picture.

Unfortunately I don't know any experienced divers that can go with me so that's why I'm asking you guys haha. I asked her what the model is and she said she would get back to me on that. I can't go look at it until Monday because I'm doing my checkout dives this weekend. Also I don't have my own wetsuit yet so I can't try it on with one of those. The sweatshirt idea is good though, I'll probably do that,

I have not stayed up with BCDs. but Seaquest is a good name and my guess is it is a Spectrum (mid-line model) similar to this: Seaquest Spectrum 3 boyancy compensation control vest size M/L | eBay

It does have an Air Source which is an integrated octo/inflator which is an added value if that is the way you want to go.

As far as fit goes, make sure you test it inflated. Once inflated, you don't want it still flopping around to much or squeezing you too hard.

See if you can try it on with a tank on it. Cinch the straps down, and then shake -- see how stable the tank will stay on your back. If it slews very much, you will likely be uncomfortable in the water using it.

I know this because the first BC I bought, which was a small Libra, didn't fit well, and I had the devil's own time trying to stay upright. The first time I dove a backplate, the stability of the tank was SUCH a relief.

This BC looks as though it is in good condition. You want to check that the air bladder will hold air, and that all the buttons work smoothly. Since the Air2 is a regulator, if you intend to use it as your backup, you will need to take it in for service, so consider that cost into the purchase price.

Lynne has an excellent point. I would definitely figure on a service for the inflator or at a minimum a going over by someone who knows the model. Problem with that is that you are not going to be the original owner for figure in parts. And will your LDS even check it? They may not like the idea you went elsewhere for your gear and in order to even look at it charge you for a full service. Kinda ignorant thing to do but it might happen. And is the hose for the inflator included? Most do not take a std hose and if not using your own reg you will likely have to swap a hose every time you rent a reg to use with it. So figure in some spare hose orings as well.

Also I don't see the weight pockets it looks like it should have with those two big velcro patches on it. Which by the way is not my idea of an optimal way to secure integrated weights. Velcro wears out and if you load the pockets you could end up losing one if it snagged on something. Not good to happen at depth.

---------- Post Merged at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:52 PM ----------

ALso make sure you have someone who will train you in the use of the octo inflator if you have not used one before. It changes things for air shares and you need to know the procedure and have some practice with it before taking it on a dive with a buddy.

After I inflate it, how will I know if there is a leak? It's hard to tell out of water isn't it? I don't have a tank to try it on with either. Would I Just be better off getting a new one from a dive shop? I just don't have the money for that. I don't want to get the wrong thing though

There are a few ways to check if there is a leak. You could inflate it and submerge it in a tub of water or inflate it and come back in a bit to see if it's still fully inflated.

There are deals to be had if you purchase used, I'd keep an eye out in the classifieds here as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom