Buying a new strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_cat_keeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a new strobe to replace the Sunpak G-flash that I am using. Is there any suggestions as to what I should look out for when buying a strobe? This time round, I would like to get a strobe with a target light.

Thanks in advance for all your response,
Cat.

p.s. I don't know if the camera will influence the type/ model of strobe that I ought to get... anyway I have a Canon S1 IS. Thanks again.

digitaldiver.net has a "strobe finder" section that you should look at.

My opinion - Ikelite DS-125 - it has the modeling light you want, is very powerful, recycles in less than 1 sec...etc.

Hi Cat:

I dont know what rig you are using the strobes on, but I recently aquired twin 125s for mine. I am very impressed with the strobes and second jlyle's motion. In addition to good TTL it has four manual power settings F to 1/8, and an UW guide number of 32. Hope this helps.

---Bob

Although the Ike 125 is a good strobe, I always recommend Inon's. Much smaller & lighter than the Ike's which is a major concern these days with airline travel. The Z220 (which is being replaced with the Z220F) have the modeling light and use 4 AA batteries. If you ever have battery problems while traveling, you can almost always find AA's.

I think that you will be happy with either strobe. The Sea & Sea YS-90DX is also a viable option but does not have the modeling light. I personally would not get any strobe but one of these three.

HTH,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom