buying a good housing for my Canon G9 on Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After doing some nice-to-great diving on Phuket & Lanta I managed to flood my camera twice & will not risk it a 3rd time. So I will be on Koh Tao from 28/12 till 04/01 & I would like to buy a decent housing for my Canon G9. Preferably not the same Canon-housing that I have now as I don't think is was made for regular use. Actually I like the housing of my Intova back-up cam much more, but the quality of the pix is far less...

So, where do I go, what should I get & what should I expect to pay?
Please enlighten me :-D

As I know this works both ways, here are some pix from the diving so far, let me know if you would like more: Phuket & Bangkok 12/2010 | Facebook

Hi there !

I live here on Koh Tao and I know there is not a huge choice when looking to buy a camera here.

Ive just bought a new point and shoot for hiring out and teaching photograpahy. Its a Panasonic Lumix dmc zs7 and comes with its own housing for 21800B which included one battery and charger and 4 meg card and hard protective carry case for dry land too. I use it with an inon strobe and so far have been very happy with it. I believe this is the only option available to you on Koh Tao for purchase.

Unfortunatly I have heard lots of similar stories about the housings for the G series - its seems quite a common problem due to the mold lines in the O ring grooves.

I work from Master Divers so if you want to come in and have a look at the housing and camera - I m happy to meet you so you can have a look and 'fiddle'. I dont sell them - the shop that sells them is at the top of the road in Mae Haad - that has the windmill like / watch tower like structure decorated with turtles ( I know..lol).

Mail me if you need more info / help or want to meet up!
Ayesha

So, in the meantime I'm in Khao Lak, doing my DM-course with Wicked Diving. The guys looked into it for me & now we found an Ikelite-housing vor +-500€. As this is quite a bit of cash, I'm wondering if it's money well spent, since I already have the G9... OR since I'm considdering a videography course after my DM, if I should just get another decent/recent camera together with a good housing for that. And then just leave the G9 for "dry pix". Ofcourse this means, no great pix anymore at this time :-/
All opinions are welcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom