Buying a dry suit for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndeeGee

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to buy a drysuit for the first time (first time for buying any suit at all). Do any of you have any pointers or advice for me. Things that I should maybe consider that a new diver won't know about.
Any help you give me will be very welcomed.
thanks in advance

andeegee

There are some great 2nd hand deals at ukscuba. That said the most important thing is that it is a good fit so if you an unusual size then you might need to pop to your LDS. Don't forget it needs to be a good fit over an undersuit. You are going to get sweaty in the LDS:wink:

There has been a tonne of debate over neoprene and trilam. Trilam is much more popular in the UK.

Self-donning zips will make life easier but shoulder zips are usually cheaper and more available.

Extra features.
Braces. makes the suit more comfortable on dry land.
Auto dump. Apex low-profile is pretty standard
Cargo pockets. One on each leg

There are different fittings on the inflater connection. I'm sure someone can elaborate. Mine is different to my BCD.

thanks Nick, I'll take a look at UK Scuba now and see what I can find.
take it easy
andeegee

while I'm in the question asking mood about drysuits, do any of you have any good sources for 2nd hand drysuits in the UK? I'm 6" tall and 13.5 stone (yes, I ate all the pies).
thanks again for all your help - this is easily the best board I have ever seen.

andeegee

Welcome to the Drysuit club!

If you are talking makes there are a few I have been in contact with that get consistently good reviews.

In your area are Otter and Driduck. I'm pretty sure Driduck does secondhand suits as well. Gryphon drysuits are a small manufacturer that a few of my old buddies used. They're based in Shropshire.

Others that come recommended are Gates. Their CBX450 is starting to find a really big following down in my neck of the woods. I like them enough to have bought one! O'Three are also another good make but they are fearsomely expensive and are not membrane (which is reason enough for me not to buy one unfortunately)

Ones to (possibly) avoid are: DUI - great suits but I've heard far too many bad things about their 'custom' fit drysuits to trust them unless you fit an off the peg version. Frighteningly expensive too! Northern Diver make goodish suits but I know a few people who have fallen foul of their 'customer service'.

As ever these are just my opinion, but are based on a few years diving and a LOT of talking about stuff in Pubs up and down Britain!

HTH

Chris

Thanks alot Nick - I'll have a bit of a look at the sources you suggested.
thansk for taking the time
AndeeGee

While the other blokes have helped you with where to find a good deal on a suit, let me give you some pointers on what to look for in the suit.
  • Good Fit -- While you don't want it skin tight like a wetsuit, you don't want it way to blousy either. There will be air inside the suit, so if the fit is too lose, the air bubble will play havoc with your trim and buoyancy. Also, make sure the wrist and neck seals fit snug without cutting off blood flow.
  • Thigh Pockets -- These are a good thing and provide the best place to store those needed small things that you want with you on your dive. Much easier to reach than the pockets of your BC
  • Suspenders -- Suits that have suspenders are much easier to don and wear since they help keep the waist up where it needs to be rather than "baggy-ing" downwards.
  • Zipper in good condition -- This is most important if your purchasing a used one. Zippers can be one of the most expensive things to replace in a drysuit. But a bad zipper can easily make your dives miserable
  • Exhaust Valve placement -- Make sure the valve to exhaust the air inside of the suit is in the proper place (usually between your shoulder and elbow and pointing straight up when you hold your arm level with your shoulder and elbow bent like your doing a chicken wing flap motion). If it's not in the right spot, then the air won't escape adequately as it expands, which could prove dangerous during ascents.
My final bit of advice is the also seek proper training. Diving dry is a good thing, but like other bits of diving, requires a certain set of skills that are not outwardly intuitive. Yes, it is possible to learn on your own or with a buddy, but you learn so much more under the guidance of the instructor.

Thanks alot TexasMike,
I'm sure your advice will be helpful when I get my suit.
As you also suggested, I have joined a club in Manchester, UK, but I only see them once a week so I'm using this board to gain extra info.
Thanks again and take care

AndeeGee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom