Buying a compressor to save money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying a compressor to save money on airfills is like buying a boat to save on charters... Hilariously misguided.

Having said that, I have a great boat and at least three friends have full-on blending systems in their garages.

The convenience is superb, but don't try to justify it on the basis of saving money. Time and convenience, yes.

Man they are not earmuffs they are headphones to drown out incessant inane babblers.

but really

if I have the comp going and a booster shooting out gas and tank swapping air releases

You must always have earmuffs on

240l/min 14.4 m3/h 8.4 cfm ish 3700usd

so here's you

I bought mine with the intentions of being portable, and that might still be an adventure I have one day, but reality so far is that it hasn't moved from withing 50' of the the 1st place I ever ran it. Larger electric might have been the way to go...

and here's me

I bought my Oceanus with the intentions of being portable, and that might still be an adventure I have one day, but reality so far is that it hasn't moved from withing 10' of the the 1st place I ever ran it. Larger electric might have been the way to go...

I was lucky enough to purchase a Bauer Jr. II (here on Scubaboard) for $1500 about a year ago. The thing was 20 years old but in mint condition. The guy I purchased it from had a complete overhaul done on it shortly before I bought it. So I can actually say that I am saving money and it is extremely convenient because the nearest dive shop to me is 1/2 hour away.

I saved money with amortized costs of ~$5k plus per year/1000 fills including a third or so that were nitrox.
Add the value of my time that would have been spent in the shop, driving to and from it and it's easily worth it.
Even recreationally I was diving 400 a year my wife 100 or so.

I saved money with amortized costs of ~$5k plus per year/1000 fills including a third or so that were nitrox.
Add the value of my time that would have been spent in the shop, driving to and from it and it's easily worth it.
Even recreationally I was diving 400 a year my wife 100 or so.
Someone filling 1000 tanks per year can hardly compare cost amortization with the average home filler. Many ruarl shops won't see 1000 fills per year.

I have a couple of rec buddies my age still doing 300 plus dives a year who have a lot less invested than I did with similar costs breakdowns.
If you fill for a couple buddies or family members it wouldn't be hard to get the same numbers I had.
And even a median income career is close to equaling a buck a minute in saved time each way. Convenience is an added bonus.
I had to justify the outlay and ongoing expenses to my senior comptroller AKA wife and she is used to my shenanigans and keeps a close eye on me.

Man they are not earmuffs they are headphones to drown out incessant inane babblers.

but really

if I have the comp going and a booster shooting out gas and tank swapping air releases

You must always have earmuffs on

240l/min 14.4 m3/h 8.4 cfm ish 3700usd

so here's you

and here's me

I bought my Oceanus with the intentions of being portable, and that might still be an adventure I have one day, but reality so far is that it hasn't moved from withing 10' of the the 1st place I ever ran it. Larger electric might have been the way to go...

Not sure how I missed this post, apologies.

"drown out incessant inane babblers" - :rofl3:....this is why I dive. lol

Yeah, I think anything you do as per a compressor (or anything in life) you'd probably like to add / change things. Would absolutely do things different. I wish my compressor was a little faster having a family of 6 divers. The reality is though, I just need to be grateful that I have the opportunity to have a compressor.

8.4cfm is pretty nice I would think. Mine is 6.5, but as it gets higher psi it drops some, so I'll call it 5cfm. If I plan my time @ 5cfm it's pretty close and I know what I'm in for.

8.4cfm is pretty nice I would think. Mine is 6.5, but as it gets higher psi it drops some, so I'll call it 5cfm. If I plan my time @ 5cfm it's pretty close and I know what I'm in for.

I think that the "scfm" (standard? cubic feet per minute) takes into account the drop in speed. I read (somewhere) that this is a rate imputed from filling an Al 80 from 500 psig to 3,000 psig. Does anyone here know for sure? @tbone1004?

rx7diver

I think that the "scfm" (standard? cubic feet per minute) takes into account the drop in speed. I read (somewhere) that this is a rate imputed from filling an Al 80 from 500 psig to 3,000 psig. Does anyone here know for sure? @tbone1004?

rx7diver

This is what I have from one of the manuals. Most of my tanks are HP....

Sure does fill a AL40 pretty fast though, lol.

Screenshot_20211105-173159_Chrome.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom