Buying a compressor to save money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCFM on shop compressors is the flow rate at 90PSI. I don't know the rated pressure for a scuba compressor.
And Correct, Standard Cubic Feet per Minute.
Some shop compreessors will have a higher rated CFM at a much lower PSI (like 40 PSI).
Interesting thing about multi stage compressors is the flow rate appears to be much more steady than a single stage compressor. When I had a single stage shop compressor you could clearly tell the drop in airflow (pressure gauge climbed a lot slower) as the pressure built up. My 2-stage is a lot more linear. The scuba compressors I have worked with tend to be very linear as well, until you get to the very upper end of what they will do.

Again I will repeat, if you do a lot of dives, you will certainly save money from buying a compressor. If you dive for a long time but only do a medium amount of dives, you will also save money.

In 20 years (this month), I have saved over $15,800 dollars by purchasing a compressor.

I bought a new compressor in 1969 for $960, it is still in use today. I bought it for convenience but over the last 53 years it definitely saved me money. If you are young enough to get a substantial number of years use from it it will save you money in the long haul.
It requires buying a new machine from a manufacture with a long history that will still be around in 30 or 40 years. Also as time passes learn how to do any repairs or overhaul it might need. Bauer would by my first choice today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom