Buying a compressor-Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

john4321

New
Reaction score
Hi people,
I'm doing some research for a new compressor,it would be great to get some more information from someone with a bit more experience on the subject.
So here the story:

I've been diving for 4-5 years now and I can say I really love it,I got my own 12L tank and a full set of scuba gear.
My problem is that I can't get air fills in my home island so now I'm seriously thinking to buy a compressor.

My requirements:

1) Be able to fill 7-10 (12L) tanks per week ,but not everyday and not every month,
2) Fairly small size compressor,(and possibly portable?)
3) Price tag ~ 2500 Euros (about 2600$)
4)Reasonable fill time

The first thing I did was to check the national "second-hand equipment" website, but the prices vary a lot,
and I would like to get some opinions from you guys, so here are some examples of what I've found:

1)Bauer Utilus '98 - price 3000 Euros (seller says it has been serviced)
2)Bauer '05 6m3 - price 2800 Euros
3)Paramina Mistral '14 - price 2800 Euros (seller notes: auto-drains,single phase, two filling hoses)
4)Bauer Utilus '95 - price 2200 Euros (seller notes: single or triple phase,serviced, 100L/min, 225BAR or 320BAR)

Obviously I don't want to spend my savings on something that won't work,so any advice on the subject is more than welcome! :)

Last edited:
Bauer is a good brand for a compressor, check for a service record and test of air qality. Utilus is a high reving compressor more for personal use, so be aware for a compressor with high hours, normal wear points is valves and bearings. If you check the oil on the compressor - if it has any traces of metal or is dark/gray it can be a indication of bad bearings. If it holds the pressure and no leaks, looks well maintaind and have a service history - you probably have a compressor for a long time... Be aware the filter media gets used up even if you dont fill mutch, so track your filter changes both in times and fills, and stay safe. And do check your air qality- you might have a dive shop with draeger tubes for air qality testing you can visit every now and then for a control.
Happy diving:)

Bauer is a good brand for a compressor, check for a service record and test of air qality. Utilus is a high reving compressor more for personal use, so be aware for a compressor with high hours, normal wear points is valves and bearings. If you check the oil on the compressor - if it has any traces of metal or is dark/gray it can be a indication of bad bearings. If it holds the pressure and no leaks, looks well maintaind and have a service history - you probably have a compressor for a long time... Be aware the filter media gets used up even if you dont fill mutch, so track your filter changes both in times and fills, and stay safe. And do check your air qality- you might have a dive shop with draeger tubes for air qality testing you can visit every now and then for a control.
Happy diving:)
Partic, I believe you are referring to a Bauer Utilus 10, and not a standard Utilus. A standard Utilus is the same block as the Capitano and Mariner, just smaller first stage jug. It is slower turning compressor with fairly low output for it's block size and would outlive most typical divers. If it was between a Utilus and a Junior II, I would go for the Utilus. It is a much larger block, slower revolutions and dedicated oil pump, not splash lubed like the Junior. Good luck!

hi
you can buy only bauer compressor
Because very best brand in world and long life servicing and very powerful
i have junior ii 2017 model

Back
Top Bottom