Butterfingers here bounced a tank - shaved off knob on one of my 130's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loosening up the burst disc will allow the air to seep though the threads, not the vent holes. Only if the copper disc became dislodged would the air come out of the vent holes. There is more of a risk of shooting the whole disc assembly out of the valve if the last few threads stripped.

Mo2vation, check your PMs

Good thought Dave. Maybe leave the tank out in the hot sun?!

awap:
Another untried suggestion: Drill a shallow hole in what remains of the handle and open it up with an easy-out. Turning that butst disk under pressure may be a bit difficult. Maybe a 1/2 inch drive braker bar will handle it OK.

This is a good idea as well. You can even get counter clockwise drill bits. Sometimes the drilling will turn the screw out on it's own, without even requiring the easy out.

Ken abucs:
Originally Posted by awap
Another untried suggestion: Drill a shallow hole in what remains of the handle and open it up with an easy-out. Turning that butst disk under pressure may be a bit difficult. Maybe a 1/2 inch drive braker bar will handle it OK.

This is a good idea as well. You can even get counter clockwise drill bits. Sometimes the drilling will turn the screw out on it's own, without even requiring the easy out.

Problem with the counterclockwise drill is if it jams it will open the valve fully without control.

I would use ordinary drills and an easyout about half the size of the stem
Start with a small pilot 1/8 making a whole about 1/2 inch deep
Follow with a fairly meaty one that suits my easyout

Put in the easyout and away you go.

here's how you do it:
1) get video camera.
2) use multiple ratchet tie downs to secure tank to basketball pole.
3) borrow .22 with a really good zeroed in scope
4) shoot off the burst disk.
5) make sure nothing was behind the tank when you shot off the burst disk. If there was, hide until tank is done, grab it fast and haul butt out of there before your neighbor realizes it was you that shot a hole in his brand new F250.

I guess that's how they do it down there in Gator country!

<ducking>

First thing I'd try is absolutely drilling the valve stem (clockwise) then hammering in a bolt extraction tool to turn it counterclockwise. A 3/16" bit should do nicely.

2 minute process. No danger.

If for some reason that doesn't work, then secure the tank (ratchet it to something secure) and start unscrewing the burst disc with an appropriately-sized box wrench. Point the disc somewhere safe and maybe lay a large heavy towel over the valve while loosening.

Needle nose vise grips might work. I'll bet that was a high pucker factor when the valve hit. I did the same thing with an open tailgate.

I have sucessfully loosened the thrust nut and it turned the valve stem. You then have to hold the valve with a wooden rod and screw the nut back in. Takes a few tries but you can turn the valve with this procedure. You will find once you loosen the nut, the piece of the stem left will turn fairly easy. If you loosen the nut too much it will blow off along with the piece of the valve..not much worse of an experience than when the burst disc goes flying. Eye and hearing protection required and point it away from your face. :) By the looks of your picture if you slightly loosen the nut you would be able to turn the stem with pliers. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom