Butt kicked in So. CA rough surf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
What happens to the innertube once you're out? You can't drag it around like a float in FL, as we have kelp. Do you send it back to shore?

Ken

When we would dive near the kelp beds, we would just hang a bunch of kelp over it and it would be there, ready with extra tanks, fresh water and apples. Other times, we would bring a line, usually a roll of 200lb test fishing line or 100’ of 1/8” nylon cord, (what ever we could scrounge up) and a 8-10 lead weight and drop it to the bottom. Sure, it was pulled around a bit but mostly it stayed close enough to us for easy reach.

Dave

Teamcasa:
When we would dive near the kelp beds, we would just hang a bunch of kelp over it and it would be there, ready with extra tanks, fresh water and apples. Other times, we would bring a line, usually a roll of 200lb test fishing line or 100’ of 1/8” nylon cord, (what ever we could scrounge up) and a 8-10 lead weight and drop it to the bottom. Sure, it was pulled around a bit but mostly it stayed close enough to us for easy reach.

Dave

A great way to make 2 dives and only one long surface kick.

Hmmm......

---
Ken

Glad an old fart could help!

Dave

Fuzz, we dove on Saturday at La Jolla shores and it was still a mess...the surf went down and good vis (15 ft) at the top... but when we went down to depth at 110 ft vis went to nearly 0ft with maybe 5ft on the good side. Seems there was a shift in the canyon wall the stirred it all up. Could hardly see the wall anymore as the whole thing has shifted.

I was at LJS and the cove yesterday. Conditions had finally settled down, but the vis was poor 5-12ft. Still, the entry/exits here in SD (on what I was told was a calm day) are much worse than what we typically get in MA (Cape Ann).

Fuzzmutton:
The tech divers that we saw getting rolled around on the beach were from AZ and they had gotten a guide for the occasion. Waves were waist deep that day, can't imagine shoulder deep. I am going to the gym this afternoon (no kidding) to start on a program to start strengthening my legs so I can get off my butt when I get knocked down by a wave!

Waist high? OOOooohhhh...I thought you meant there were WAVES...:D
I learned to surf and body surf long before I started diving and if the water is more than knee deep, I have my fins on. It's easier to walk with them off but if you lose your grip on them getting knocked over and you're in over your head without them with dive gear on, it's hard to make any headway. Being in shape is a good thing but no matter how big and strong you are, you can't out muscle waves once they're head high. You dance with them.....

One of the reasons I don't consider myself a "great" diver even after 45 years is that I am not a master of surf entries. I carry a camera on all dives which makes it even more important that I do the entries and exits "properly" (that is, survive them). Fortunately shore diving on Catalina's leeward side is usually a piece of cake even though I do mostly boat dives here and elsewhere.

drbill:
One of the reasons I don't consider myself a "great" diver even after 45 years is that I am not a master of surf entries. I carry a camera on all dives which makes it even more important that I do the entries and exits "properly" (that is, survive them). Fortunately shore diving on Catalina's leeward side is usually a piece of cake even though I do mostly boat dives here and elsewhere.
The biggest problem I had, was not going far enough past the "surf" zone (I was too shallow) before trying to get my fins on. Oh, I can't tell you how much fun (NOT!) that actually was! :rofl3:

Fuzz, wait til you try Monastery in Monterey. You're feet will actually sink into the coarse sand. It's a much steeper beach than many in SoCal too. You're in head high water in less than 10 yds. I recommend inflating your BC doing a beach entry to prevent ending up underwater without a reg in your mouth. Keep it inflated at least til you get your fins on.

Don't feel bad. We got rolled at Monastery getting out. Now I crawl shamelessly til I can drop my weights and I'm out of the surf. Then I take out my reg. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom