busted tooth antibiotics etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy waller

Reaction score
Dear Tooth Doctor,

I hope to commence my advanced course in 9 days time but have recently broken one of my rear teeth. I have seen my Dentist and they have informed me that i require a root canal filling, but can not see me for a couple of weeks, he has given me a temporary filling but has also said i have a infection of the gum. i have been prescibed antibiotics and painkillers untill they can commence. what i am worried about is will i be okay to dive and the possibilities of suffering the narcs from this medication as i will be completing dives down to 30m ?????
look forward to your comments and any help/advice you can give me.

cheers

andy waller

to welcome you to the board andy! Hope this will be the first of many posts to come!

Also, my thoughts are that i wouldnt dive (esp. to that depth) when on any type of medication for the just-in-case factor! If something happens and it impairs judgement etc....however I am sure the local doc with come and give you all the jargon and relevant details to read!

Anyway, I'll stop babbling and say once again...welcome to scubaboard!

Hey Andy...

First off, welcome to the finest board, SCUBA or otherwise on the net!!! I hope you meet as many dear friends as I have and learn just as much!!!

As for your question, I am NOT a doctor of people, but of computer networks. However, I retained my brain anyway and would advise a solid :nono: for a dive while under ANY influence. If you can not safely operate machinery or drive, then you should NOT dive!!!

Your teeth add more drama to the mix, too. A temporary filling and any dental pain makes you quite susceptible to a reverse block on your ascent. Just be patient and wait till you and your teeth can make it to the bottom without any narcotic help.

:tease:

Hi Andy,

We have a diving DDS who stops by from time to time, so hopefully he'll see this & provide definitive guidance.

In the meantime, there are several potential problems you may wish to be aware of:

1. Some pain medications, especially those of a narcotic type, can adversely impact mental functioning;

2. Temporary fillings that contain any air space(s),
and they can, will be subject to woes brought on by Boyle's law;

3. Not sure how far back in the mouth the tooth is, or if your mouth piece contacts it, but if it does it could cause pain or even dislodge the temporary.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom