Busted by the DFG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whalerkyle:
It turns out that one little piece of S*#T lobsters crawled into the corner under one of the BC's. After the dive we allways take turns and dump our bags on the deck to re-measure the bugs. This one we missed tossing back to the ocean.

Well, I am sorry to hear that you were cited....asnd hope all turns out well.

But, I hope you aren't blaming this on a lobster that crawled out of sight...Surely you keep track of the bugs you bring up, right? Otherwise, how would you know if maybe you caught too many? My guess is that you acknowledge the mistake, and this will cause you to be much more careful...heh

And, the measuring issue is also a factor, as others have mentioned...

How much is the fine for such a thing? (EDIT: I see where you say its a $650 dive, and presume that is because the fine is high....But, $650????? WOW)

pasley:

Agreed...But to keep within the intent of the law, I hope he is keeping the lobster alive and will return it to the original environment following resolution of the issues.

Sounds like one of those guys with nothing better to do, his wife left him, the dog passed on last week, his house burnt down, he didnt get to take part in the OJ chase, hasnt had a cigarette in 4 hours, still nursing a hang over from 2 days ago, his boat was stolen, and to top it off he forgot to do laundry last night and is wearing the same dirty underwear and socks as yesterday.

Huh? THis is probably what the DFG guy heard: "But I didn't even know it was there officer!!!!" or "that's not my lobster, where'd that one come from!???" Like he doesn't hear that ***** all the time. Sounds like whalerkyle got caught making an innocent mistake - but that's not the standard, innocence or intent. You have it in your possession, you're busted. Just like speeding.

Sorry that whalerklye had to pay the price, but personally I am glad there is someone making sure that the game laws are enforced.

And I am not a lobster hunter, but have been in the past, IMHO, if you've measured a lobster and it's a "hair's" length legal, you take the risk that it's a "hair's" length illegal topside. If it's that close, let it go.

YMMV

Chris

Yep. I realize it was my mistake. Like I said, Oh well, expensive lesson learned"
The fine is 600-680$ per illegal head of game.

Kyle - the last thing you need is people (from other states??!!) piling on reminding you of the remedial Lobstering issues that were whiffed on.

The bottom line is one of the more enterprising of the little buggers escaped, crawled over to a pile of stuff, on a small crowded boat on a dark pitching sea in the middle of the night.

All things conspired against you. It sux. I feel your pain.

K

whalerkyle:
There is no need for me to buy a lobster when I can launch my boat and be in the water in under 45 minutes. I'm sure St Mathew was a little forgiving at times when an honest mistake was made.

Why do you guys think he took the lobster with him and not just dump it back?

Lobster for me is the most expensive free food. Now it turned into a 650$ dive , lol. Oh well, lesson learned.

My next door neighbor was a lawyer and we got busted for being just inside the no lobster line. They brought the lobster frozen into the courtroom, lawyers being lawyers it went on for 6 continuances. The defense allowed that DNR did not have to bring the several times thawed and refrozen lobster to court every time after the third session.

We got off by the way, I almost felt bad for the prosecution, these were some big guns doing the defense. Best justice system money can buy. If your going to get in trouble do it with a lawyer.

DennisS:
They brought the lobster frozen into the courtroom, lawyers being lawyers it went on for 6 continuances. The defense allowed that DNR did not have to bring the several times thawed and refrozen lobster to court every time after the third session.

I can hear it now:

State's exhibit "A" - the gamey, funky, frozen / thawed 3 month old now-gelatinous lobster carcus.

Judge: What is that thing doing back in my courtroom?

DFG: Uh, well, it got a little hot in the evidence locker, your honor

Kyle: Well, it WAS legal before it crawled into the pile of BC's and you gomers grabbed it

Judge: That'll be enough out of you, Poacher. $650, please.

Sucks to be you, Kyle. I think you're in a lose/really-lose situation.

K

LOL.

Yep, just send me the bill. By the way, the bugs that made the cut tasted great today in my sandwiches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom