Bursting SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not something I recall being taught by Padi. Is there truth to this?

I was just certified last July by a Padi instructor and he taught me to hold the face of the gauge against the side of the tank as I opened the valve, just incase there was a failure. That way the tank would block any debris or what not from flying across the boat and hitting another person. It's apparently something that's still taught by some instructors. I have noticed however, that on the dives I've been on since certification, no one but me seems to do it.

Make a habit of pressurizing your gear SLOWLY....Your gear will last longer and it'll give you reaction/warning time if something does go bad .....

I was though during my PADI OW to put the face of the SPG against the hard plate of your BCD just in case of failure and to open the valve slowly, wait fir a minute and open it the rest of the way after. I always do that.

I have seen 4 brass gauges come apart about 1999 Drager had a bad batch 2 came apart 1st time pressurized one chipped a Formica counter. I also have one blew the face off after about 4 years use. that one gets shown to students

The people saying turn the air on slowly obviously don't dive Poseidons. That is a good way to waste a lot of air.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

I've seen an SPG blow. It was more of a 'pop' than a big 'bang'. Not as dramatic as I might have predicted beforehand. That said, I wouldn't want one in direct line to my eyeballs. Eyes are about as fragile as body parts come...

Yep - this one is definitely not a myth, and does not just affect bourdon tubes and 'manual' type SPG's. A very well known manufacturer of a high end air integrated dive computer issued a recall about two years ago because they had suffered a 'small' number of failures on pressurisation causing a part of the casing front to fly off.

This was widely advertised by the company, and reported on Scubaboard and was fixed in very short order by the company who recalled and tested every unit manufactured in a certain serial number range. They then fitted a slightly modified front plate so you could identify which units had been tested.

I always hold the front of my dive computer and pressure gauges against either the tank, or kitting up bench and have done since OW when I was taught to do so. - Phil.

i wouldn't suggest against the tank though... ricochet is a possibilty... against the BC or some other cloth like thing... your buddy's wetsuit maybe? or maybe a towel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom