burst blood vessel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisacats

Reaction score
Hi,
I was having an eye exam a couple of days ago and the dr. found that I had a blood vessel close to the optic nerve that had hemorraged but looked like it was 50% healed on its own. A few weeks ago I was trying to fine tune my drysuit bouyancy, and added more air than I should have, and had the exhaust valve nearly closed. Unfortunately I started an uncontrolled ascent from about 50 ft. At the time I was of course upset at my myself for having added too much air and not loosening the exhaust valve and worried that I was going to have the bends or an embolism. I had no symptoms of DCI so thought that I was ok. I am now wondering if the uncontrolled ascent could have caused the hemorrage. I asked the eye dr. but he didn't know anything about diving so couldn't speculate. I was just wondering though if that uncontrolled ascent could have been the cause.

Thanks,
Lisa
(adding less air and opening the exhaust valve, of course)

Lisa,
Some times small hemorrhages happen for no reason. Any straining that raises your blood pressure can cause them as can hypertension. I generally recheck my patients in a few weeks to see if it has resolved. Small hemorrhages next to the optic nerve may also be an indication of normal tensive glaucoma. How close was it?

I doubt the uncontrolled ascent caused it. Now for the lawyer stuff. This is general educational information not specific medical advice.
Lloyd

The dr. said it was close to the optic nerve, but not right next to it. I am going back next week for another test. In the mean time I'm going to get back in the water.

:D
Lisa

Lisa,
I would ask and make sure he considers normal tensive glaucoma. You might want to consider having a visual field test. Ask your Dr's opinion.
Lloyd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom