Burn Time of UK C8 eled, D8, LC100 w/NIMH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AustinB

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in these lights. However since I free dive and do not use tanks I tend to stay in the water up to 6 hours. I am curious if anyone has tested or used these lights with rechargable NIMH batteries.

C8 eled with 4500 or 5000 mAh
D8 14 watt or 30 watt with 9000, 9500, or 11000 mAh
Light Cannon 100 with 4500 or 5000 mAh

Would any of these light be able to last 6 hours on rechargable NIMH?

Thanks,

Austin

The eled will give you th longest burn time, and you'll get 6+ hours on standard batteries, but I never seem to get as long on rechargables.... But I'd bet you could get that if you kicked the eled to the low power setting (it's got high and low beam)

But are you doing a night free dive where the light will be on constantly for the entire 6 hours?? Or are you diving down, then at depth, kicking it on to look under rocks and such.

My c8 eled has lasted 8 night dives so far. I use 4400 mah batts. Each night dive is at least 60 minutes. I swap from the 3 watt to the 6 watt depending on location.

Kyle

scubatoys:
The eled will give you th longest burn time, and you'll get 6+ hours on standard batteries, but I never seem to get as long on rechargables.... But I'd bet you could get that if you kicked the eled to the low power setting (it's got high and low beam)

But are you doing a night free dive where the light will be on constantly for the entire 6 hours?? Or are you diving down, then at depth, kicking it on to look under rocks and such.

The light would be on for the entire time. I might switch to low if diving in really shallow or clean water.

whalerkyle:
My c8 eled has lasted 8 night dives so far. I use 4400 mah batts. Each night dive is at least 60 minutes. I swap from the 3 watt to the 6 watt depending on location.

Kyle

Sounds like the eled will last for at least the 6 hours I need on the rechargeables. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if using NIMH batteries if the light will still dim on the D8 or if the light would stay more constant?

The discharge characteristics of nickel-metal hydride batteries are affected by current, temperature, etc., and the discharge voltage characteristics are flat at 1.2V. Thus the light would remain at a near constant brightness, until the end of battery life.

Does anyone have any experiance with the D8 with 9000 mA/h batteries? I have heard it will last around 7 hours. If this is true I will buy the cheaper 9000 batteries rather than the more expensive 11000 batts.

I also have the D8r with an 8500 mah pack. It lasts 80 minutes. I put a 50 watt bulb in it so I can light up the whole reef, that's why I get such low burn time. I've never used it with a lower bulb.

Kyle

Thanks for all the help. I decided to get the 11000 incase I want to get the 30 watt bulb.

Austin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom