Buoys anchors question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubba_in_cali

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I would like to do a beach dive, but I am concerned about rip currents and such. Is it possible to obtain 4 buoys and 4 anchors so that I may set for myself a square perimeter? In my imagination, in the event of a sudden current I could just grab one of the anchors because I would be staying within the perimeter.

Is this type of gear often used by solo divers? Thank you.

"Sudden currents" are a rarity, especially on a beach dive. Rip currents (which are not "sudden") are narrow and go offshore; swim longshore to get out of one..
You'd need a whole line of anchors to hang onto since it is unlikely you'd be near to the one you set....and visibility is usually poor enough that you'd be unlikely to find it to hang onto it.
No, solo divers do not use any gear like that.
You are a new diver you have 0-24 dives; why are you talking about solo diving? That is a long way off, if ever.
An important aspect of solo diving is picking a site that does NOT have "sudden currents."

"Sudden currents" are a rarity, especially on a beach dive. Rip currents (which are not "sudden") are narrow and go offshore; swim longshore to get out of one..
You'd need a whole line of anchors to hang onto since it is unlikely you'd be near to the one you set....and visibility is usually poor enough that you'd be unlikely to find it to hang onto it.
No, solo divers do not use any gear like that.
You are a new diver you have 0-24 dives; why are you talking about solo diving? That is a long way off, if ever.
An important aspect of solo diving is picking a site that does NOT have "sudden currents."

Got it, those points make a lot of sense, thank you very much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom