Bungied Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering switching to an OMS bungied wing, which I understand is verboten in DIR because the bungies are perceived to be an entanglement risk.

These wings are quite popular among wreck divers up here in the NE U.S.

My impression of DIR is that sometimes folks go overboard, but sometimes they have it right so its worth getting a DIR perspective on equipment.

So my question is: Are there records of actual entanglement accidents due to use of bungied wings? Is the ban on bungied wings based on empirical fact, or is it something DIR folks have inferred based on general principles?

Thanks.

Gee, I just answered this question on the Cave 1 exam, and entanglement wasn't even mentioned.

What was mentioned was that it makes the wing more difficult to inflate orally, tends to make it lose more gas if holed, and makes the surface of the wing very un-aerodynamic.

As Jeff says, what problem are you trying to solve? Using a wing that is too big and then bungieing it down doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I had a real life encounter with someone on a boat using the bungied wing of death. The inflator elbow tore off as he jumped into the water (wearing a wetsuit, double 108s, and split fins) and this 25 year old nearly had a heart attack trying to swim himself up and back to the boat. It was ugly and could have been uglier.

What was mentioned was that it makes the wing more difficult to inflate orally, tends to make it lose more gas if holed, and makes the surface of the wing very un-aerodynamic.

Thanks, TSandM. That is helpful, since I view these problems as not-serious threats for my diving.

As Jeff says, what problem are you trying to solve? Using a wing that is too big and then bungieing it down doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Since you asked...:
1. The bungies reduce air shifting from one side of the wing to another, which I've found annoying with my current wing.

2. The bungies reduce the tendency of wings to build up air in the rear, which then pulls up and makes it more difficult to deflate the wing quickly and fully from a prone position.

3. Divers around here who use them swear by them for balance and trim. I mean, really love them.

4. They look cool. And yes, that matters to me and I won't appologize for it.

I had a real life encounter with someone on a boat using the bungied wing of death. The inflator elbow tore off as he jumped into the water (wearing a wetsuit, double 108s, and split fins) and this 25 year old nearly had a heart attack trying to swim himself up and back to the boat. It was ugly and could have been uglier.

Now, this is a serious threat. Thanks for the info deepstops - If I decide to go this way, I will be very careful to check the elbow attachment.

Now, this is a serious threat. Thanks for the info deepstops - If I decide to go this way, I will be very careful to check the elbow attachment.

Same threat as if a hole was in the wing.

I had a real life encounter with someone on a boat using the bungied wing of death. The inflator elbow tore off as he jumped into the water

I had a student experience the same failure with a Halcyon wing.

It's a legitimate concern, but independent of wing choice.

The other stuff you mentioned is not relevent to the OP's question ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

3. Risk of entanglement is highly unlikely and I have NEVER heard of this happening before.

The only entanglement that gets reported with any kind of consistency (but not that often) is one when the deflate ball thingy gets caught under a bungie and does an auto-deflate thing with the wing.

It's a legitimate concern, but independent of wing choice.
But a hole in the wing may behave differently with a bungie wing vs non-bungie wing. (All depending on how tight the bands are and how much gas is in the wing)

Thanks, TSandM. That is helpful, since I view these problems as not-serious threats for my diving.

Since you asked...:
1. The bungies reduce air shifting from one side of the wing to another, which I've found annoying with my current wing.

2. The bungies reduce the tendency of wings to build up air in the rear, which then pulls up and makes it more difficult to deflate the wing quickly and fully from a prone position.

3. Divers around here who use them swear by them for balance and trim. I mean, really love them.

4. They look cool. And yes, that matters to me and I won't appologize for it.
The first two issues you mention are more indicative of choosing the wrong size/shape wing for your application. I experienced the same issues on my first doubles wing, and discovered that choosing a smaller wing resolved them. I also prefer the oval wings (Halcyon Evolve and DSS Torus) because they make trimming and dumping the wing so easy.

As to the final two issues, can't help ya. What other divers think don't really influence my purchasing decisions ... and looking cool is a very subjective thing. Personally, I think DSS and Oxycheq wings are the coolest looking ones out there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom