Bungie Cord Vs. Surgical Tubing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much anything that is elastomeric failes over time. Ozone is a common culprit.

Surgical tubing rots, but so does shock cord. Shock Cord is just a fabric wrapped strands of latex rubber, same stuff they make lycra out of.

As others have pointed out the good news is both are cheap.

I prefer the shock cord, because a smaller diameter cord is still effective, and is less bulkly around the mouthpiece, but it's no big deal either way.

Regards,

Tobin

So how do you fit that large of a suitcase in a Honda?

Sailboat shop didn't have any surgical tubing.

Soggy:
Only someone who drives a Honda would use Surgical Tubing. :)

Seriously, it doesn't matter. I like bungee because it seems more durable.

Mabye you are on to something. LOL. But seriously, I think I am going to try and dive with the bungie cord just to see what it is like. I mean I am perfectly happy with surgical tubing, but if this many people actually dive the bungie style, I should probably try it and see if it is better. Thanks for the ideas/advice.

My singles reg has a bungie ... my doubles setup uses surgical tubing. They both work equally well. Haven't had any issues with rotting yet.

If it works, don't fix it ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

CNTdiver:
On my reg, I always have been used to using surgical tubing to hold it around my neck. But I got a guy who wants to start using bungie cord because his surgical tubing goes bad after a couple months. I really have not had a problem with it, but I do replace it when I see ANY signs of problems. What do you guys think?

We stopped using surgical tubing about 10 years ago since it gums up and gets nasty. It's also a bit fat around the mouthpiece. 3/8 shock cord (bungee) works really well. Most marine supply stores have it in that nasty white speckle, West Marine has it in Blue and Red. We keep a stock of it here at TDL in black, but I probably need to order some more and put it in the website.

Anyway, bungee we found is better than surgical tubing.

Regards,

Soggy:
Only someone who drives a Honda would use Surgical Tubing. :)

Seriously, it doesn't matter. I like bungee because it seems more durable.

I drive a Honda and use bungee.

CNTdiver:
Mabye you are on to something. LOL. But seriously, I think I am going to try and dive with the bungie cord just to see what it is like. I mean I am perfectly happy with surgical tubing, but if this many people actually dive the bungie style, I should probably try it and see if it is better. Thanks for the ideas/advice.

I think you'll find it's a whole lot like diving with surgical tubing. The reg is still around your neck :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom