Bunaken video including baby whale shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblevision

Contributor
Reaction score
This is the best of my standard definition footage from my 2006 Bunaken trip, which previously was available as part of a DVD sold by Two Fish Divers at their resorts.

This is long (18 minutes) so get yourself a nice cup of tea and put your feet up.

Click on the body of the video itself to open up the video in YouTube and see the bigger version. If you have low bandwidth, click on HQ at the bottom right of the video to turn it off.

It's worth hanging on until 08:30 for the baby whale shark at Lekuan with two big remoras on it. This whale shark was only 5 or 6 feet long. Anyone ever seen one this small?

I also put an embedded YouTube player with all my Bunaken videos on Facebook.

Very cool! I have only seen a dozen or so whalesharks and that guy is tiny! great find and very lucky!

Thanks for posting this. I have been waiting years to see this. I dove with TwoFish Divers a few weeks after this was shot.

I think I recognize Lucy, the English woman (who later became an instructor) and Risko, the dive guide with the long pony tail from TwoFish.

While I was diving with Risko off Bangka Island he found a small Gorgonian fan not much bigger than a ping pong paddle with ten pygmy seahorses on it.

One can see so much near the surface off Bunaken. I often saw huge bumphead parrotfish, tuna, Napoleon wrasse, and once even a pod of dolphins while underwater with scuba.

awww Alan you're making me jealous! ten pygmy sea horses... a pod of dolphins...

Yes that's right. Lucy and Risko. So there was talk of this whale shark when you were there?

Two Fish have been selling this as the first half of a DVD I made for them since late 2006. I guess you were there just too early for them to sell you one.

Superb! It reminded me of my holidays in Bunaken in May 2008 (but I did not see any whaleshark)...
Thanks for the great pictures, I love the clown frofish and the juvenile arlequin sweetlips.

What a great video. I'd love to have it in a better resolution. Is the DVD like this?

Edit: Wow I've been watching your HD videos on YouTube. Amazing stuff.

Last edited:
beautiful video! The juvenile whaleshark came to the boat. Wow.
The 2 remoras are too big for the little whaleshark!

Wow, that's indeed the smallest whaleshark I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing.
I hope to dive Bunaken with TFD next June/July (planning ahead already).

Yeah, I felt a bit sorry for the little shark dragging those 2 huge remoras around with it.

By the way, don't go to Bunaken expecting to see whale sharks of any size. This was really a special and exceptional encounter :)

What a great video. I'd love to have it in a better resolution. Is the DVD like this?
All the footage in this is also in the DVD that Two Fish Divers sell in their resort, along with some footage of the resort itself and a whole lot of Lembeh footage which I plan to release online in a few days when I have a written music release that YouTube require. The DVD is PAL DV (720x576) whereas this is 640x480 and has lost some quality due to the YouTube conversion.

I have never sold the DVD myself but I have all the files so I could do. If anyone is interested please send me a PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom