bunaken/ lembeh/wakatobi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I never tip. Reason is because I am always on budget, and do think that it's more a western way of thanking more for a service when you actually already paid for the full service. If you start to tip to these people, there's a risk they might start to judge you on how much they get tips, especially for future travellers.
So giving as much tips as in western countries is also a bad idea, 'cause at first their salaries isn't the same as us, so tips should be far less than some westerners pay. And in the end their smiles will be based on just your generous tips, which for us is a small sum, but for them is really a lot, don't forget it. I am not discouraging people to do so, but future customers should be a bit aware of the impact it could provoc on them.
Again this is just me !

I'm sorry but i can't let this thread end on this opinion. I fail to see any problem with tipping. "These people" are hardworking and have families just like you and me. When was the last time you received poor service or were "judged" in Indonesia or elsewhere because of what the previous tourist or customer tipped, or did not?

Hemmingway once said the best way to make friends while traveling is to tip well and often. I don't see anything wrong with that idea. You are supporting economies and people's livelihoods by touring into foreign countries and spending money, budget traveler or not. A large portion of successful marine conservation efforts in the Philippines and Indonesia is fueled by dive tourism. When you support the local people you give more reason for these areas to be protected instead of being bombed with dynamite or shark finned for survival.

Believe me, and this goes for people in customer service everywhere, if someone gives a generous tip it is nothing but appreciated, it doesn't set the bar or standard or whatever. They will be very grateful since they get paid nothing even by Indonesian standards and this is what they support their families on. So what if they love a great tip! If someone gives a poor tip, there is no revenge, it's just forgotten. I understand that there are cultural differences in attitudes towards tipping, but if you travel to a culture where tipping is accepted, or has become accepted for good reason, you should tip. Traveling on a budget is not an excuse. I work in customer service therefore I always travel on a budget, but tipping is part of that budget.

Tip well, tip often.

Last edited:
Hemmingway once said the best way to make friends while traveling is to tip well and often.

Hi Magrone!

Thanks for the quote, but are you sure that was by Hemingway?

I am a fan of Hemingway and his sayings and quotes, and although Hemingway was a renown traveler, I can't recall any quotes by him as you mentioned.

Then, before posting this reply, as a bit of a Hemingway fan, I searched and searched all the online quote databases I could find on the net (well, actually only a few of the more popular ones); and I cannot find any quote related to tipping by Hemingway, ROTFL.

I would be surprised that Hemingway would say something like this; because you cannot gain "true friends" by tipping, or giving money to anyone. Yes, tipping makes people happy; but it does not make you real friends; it simply makes people happy to take your money.

I agree with you that tipping is a very good thing while traveling; but I don't agree that tipping "makes friends" because the term "friend" implies a relationship that is not created or sustained because of money.

If you have a link to a web page that shows your quote by Hemingway, please share it!

Thanks!!

Hi Magrone!

Thanks for the quote, but are you sure that was by Hemingway?

I am a fan of Hemingway and his sayings and quotes, and although Hemingway was a renown traveler, I can't recall any quotes by him as you mentioned.

Then, before posting this reply, as a bit of a Hemingway fan, I searched and searched all the online quote databases I could find on the net (well, actually only a few of the more popular ones); and I cannot find any quote related to tipping by Hemingway, ROTFL.

I would be surprised that Hemingway would say something like this; because you cannot gain "true friends" by tipping, or giving money to anyone. Yes, tipping makes people happy; but it does not make you real friends; it simply makes people happy to take your money.

I agree with you that tipping is a very good thing while traveling; but I don't agree that tipping "makes friends" because the term "friend" implies a relationship that is not created or sustained because of money.

If you have a link to a web page that shows your quote by Hemingway, please share it!

Thanks!!

Hi Iamafish,

I didn't quote Hemingway, I paraphrased something the main character in "The Sun also Rises" comments on about tipping the waiters in France. I think you are taking the "idea" or metaphor of friends a little too literal. Of course I don't think you can buy friendship. And the passage was not talking about "true friends". It's referring to being treated well by tipping. This is just the reality of customer service. You tip well, or at all, and it is appreciated. Yes, they are "happy to take your money"
and why shouldn't they be? THE POINT IS in turn, you also get people who are happy to conserve marine environments that otherwise could easily be destroyed if alternative means of survival such as dive tourism and TIPPERS were not available.

On the last boat I was on in Indonesia our chef mentioned in conversation that he relies on tips to pay for his families medical bills. Maybe this was a crafty way of telling me to tip, but good for him! I would never question his honesty in the matter, all I know is that he went out of his way every day to help me with anything I needed and made friendly conversation and was good company. He gave me his contact info so I could visit him and his family in Bali when I go back. And this of course was all before tips were paid. I didn't tip him any more than anyone else but he made my experience more enjoyable and in my mind that is worth something. Tipping is that something, because I don't really know what else could reasonably return the favor.

Last edited:
Iamafish,

Since you asked, here is the passage I paraphrased from Hemingway:

"The waiter seemed a little offended about the flowers of the Pyrenees, so I overtipped him. That made him happy. It felt comfortable to be in a country where it is so simple to make people happy. You can never tell whether a Spanish waiter will thank you. Everything is on such a clear financial basis in France. It is the simplest country to live in. No one makes things complicated by becoming your friend for any obscure reason. If you want people to like you you have only to spend a little money. I spent a little money and the waiter liked me. He appreciated my valuable qualities. He would be glad to see me back. I would dine there again some time and he would be glad to see me, and would want me at his table. It would be a sincere liking because it would have a sound basis. I was back in France.
Next morning I tipped every one a little too much at the hotel to make more friends, and left on the morning train for San Sebastian. At the station I did not tip the porter more than I should because I did not think I would ever see him again. I only wanted a few good French friends in Bayonne to make me welcome in case I should come back there again. I knew that if they remembered me their friendship would be loyal."

Hello,

Im planning to dive in Wakatobi next october. I have read most of the posts here regarding operators in the area. I´m wondering if anyone has some updated information regarding the dive masters experience. Seems there´s one dive operator in Hoga next Wallacea Operation. Tomia Dive Center and Wakatobi resort in Tomia. Since we can´t affort to stay at Wakatobi, i would like to know if the Tomia Dive Center has improved in the last 2 years or so. Would anyone recommend Hoga DM´s instead? Seems Tomia has much more Dive spots than around Hoga. is this true? besides beautiful coral, what kind of fish/turtles/big fish can we expect around october?

My other question is regarding location. I´m travelling with other friends that aren´t divers, so to have a nice beach would be important. I saw on google earth Tomia is way bigger than Hoga, and also the beach that you see on the pics from Wakatobi Resort are in another smaller island next to Tomia so im not sure how the sorroundings of TDC are. what about hoga? why is it the Wallacea operation decided to be based there diving wise? any advice regarding location would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom