bunaken/ lembeh/wakatobi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wakatobi has a lot of beautiful soft corals, but not a lot of fish. The resort is nice, but I'd recommend Bunaken over Wakatobi for better diving as well.

OUCH! :shocked2:
Sounds to me like the kiss of death... :eyebrow:
Comparing a 400USD/night resort operation against the -mostly dodgy- 40USD/night bungalows in Bunaken and stating that the 10 times less expensive is better diving....it's easier to pick your choice now.
(although on a personal side, I never appreciated Bunaken's wall diving, talk to me about Bangka for corals and life...).

Given we have only dove each spot once, I have to say (and my wife agrees) Bunaken was ok but not on par with Wakatobi. We both said if we went back we would skip Bunaken and concentrate on Lembeh. IOHO for corals or fish life Wakatobi was much better than Bunaken. For example we saw more bumphead parrot fish at Wakatobi than we have seen anywhere in 30yrs of diving. I look at our video/multimedia, and photos and Wakatobi wins.

As for getting there it is about as seamless as travel to Indo can be. To be met as you get off the plane in Bali and wisked past the sometimes very long Customs lines was just one nice touch.

PS: I must say I am a little uncomfortable with "industry" people with possible ties to operations commenting on specific resorts.

For example we saw more bumphead parrot fish at Wakatobi than we have seen anywhere in 30yrs of diving.
Not been to Sipadan yet, right? I might be wrong but I didn't find any Sipadan gallery in your web site.

PS: I must say I am a little uncomfortable with "industry" people with possible ties to operations commenting on specific resorts.
I am also uncomfortable when a shop owner recommends his own (Happening A LOT in Thailand or Philippines boards). In this case, the poster wasn't recommending anything, "negative" recommandations are in some cases more invaluable than the positive ones.
I am not that shocked with Wakatobi, never been there however it's not the first time I've heard or read people I am the most confident with their opinion, reporting a little disappointment with fishlife.

Wakatobi has a lot of beautiful soft corals, but not a lot of fish. The resort is nice, but I'd recommend Bunaken over Wakatobi for better diving as well. The wall in Bunaken is gigantic and has a lot of life. Lembeh is always fun for muck diving.

Sorry ... I have to disagree with this. The variety, scope, and pristine condition of Wakatobi is well beyond Bunaken, IMHO. I would go back to Wakatobi in a flash ... Bunaken was very good, but I'm not so sure I'd go back.

Last edited:
Curious. Was Wakatobi better enough to justify 10 X the cost?

I've heard there is a budget operator there, but I haven't looked into them yet.

Curious. Was Wakatobi better enough to justify 10 X the cost? I've heard there is a budget operator there, but I haven't looked into them yet.

What is it that you want to compare ... diving or lodging? Yes, you can find budget operators and a number of liveaboards to dive the Wakatobi area reefs. It really depends on what you want. If it's all about the diving, regardless of the accommodations, by all means go for the budget operator(s) in Wakatobi. Then you'll be able to draw a more direct comparison with some of the operators in Bunaken. I'm not saying one is superior to the other. If you want Wakatobi Dive Resort, and their services, the bill would be more like 4X one of the better known operators on Bunaken. As far as the diving, I'll stick with my previous post. :wink:

I really don't give a care about the accommodation. I'm not high maintenance. If I could dive Wakatobi for something that fits my budget, I might give it a go.
But For $400/night, I could do a Raja Ampat liveaboard.

I really don't give a care about the accommodation. I'm not high maintenance. If I could dive Wakatobi for something that fits my budget, I might give it a go. But For $400/night, I could do a Raja Ampat liveaboard.

I don't understand your point ... if it's all about the diving, you can choose a budget operation in the Wakatobi area, and have great diving ...

Last edited:
I love Bunaken. Over the last 3 years I have probably spent at least
4 or 5 months on that island. I don't have much good to say about two fish.
But if you are on a budget I would or if your there by your self I would stay at Daniel's home-stay it's owned by locals has a relaxed atmosphere and the food was exultant (lots of BBQ tuna and barracuda as well as fresh papua and pineapple. breakfast could be better but all of indo could use that advice) and has by far the best snorkeling reef on the island right out in front of the resort. The dive guides are safe, relaxed and they know how to find those really cool creatures that we would just drift right by. If you want to know what sites are the best tell me what you really like to see and I can try to tell you witch sites you will probably enjoy the most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom