Bunaken/Lembeh or Irian Jaya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkrupela:
if you want sheer variety of dive sites and you're into critters and macro, Komodo is better. If you want lush beauty and the feeling of virgin diving and aren't so much concerned about lots of critters and variety - Raja Ampats can't be beat. The Sea Safari is a great boat with a great crew - good food too. Say hello to Tony, Lisa and Sascha for me.

Though they both sound wonderful, Raja Ampat sounds slightly better. But I can only go in the summer and the only boats there in the summer are definitely too spartan for my wife. I'll have to make it there another time.

I was in Raja Ampat this July as well as in October. Summer is wet and windy in that area. Good luck. I agree with comments on critters - much more in Komodo, etc. Good reefs and many good corals in Ampat - fish action can be good.

As a follow-up... For sheer numbers of reef fish, crinoids three deep, soft corals that make soft coral arch in Palau look like a barren wasteland, and diversity of fish life - Raja Ampats can't be beat. Having said that, the vis is only so-so, each dive pretty much looks like the last (short walls followed by a sloping bottom), and far less interesting critters than other parts of Indonesia. Topside - the Raja Ampats are better than Palau's Rock Islands, and with no people.

For variety, better vis, sheer numbers of invertebrates, varying topography, and interesting top-side attractions like the dragons - Komodo gets my vote. The water is colder though (upwellings also increase the biodiversity of critters), and you get everything from volcanic walls to sand flats and rubble heaps.

For a first time trip - I'd say Bali-Komodo-Bali with a few extra days in Bali if you haven't been there is a great indoctrination. You get a lot of variety in your diving, you get to experience Bali, see the dragons, etc. Then, do Raja Ampats or N. Sulawesi as your next Indo trip.

Just my thoughts.

pkrupela:
As a follow-up... For sheer numbers of reef fish, crinoids three deep, soft corals that make soft coral arch in Palau look like a barren wasteland, and diversity of fish life - Raja Ampats can't be beat. Having said that, the vis is only so-so, each dive pretty much looks like the last (short walls followed by a sloping bottom), and far less interesting critters than other parts of Indonesia. Topside - the Raja Ampats are better than Palau's Rock Islands, and with no people.

For variety, better vis, sheer numbers of invertebrates, varying topography, and interesting top-side attractions like the dragons - Komodo gets my vote. The water is colder though (upwellings also increase the biodiversity of critters), and you get everything from volcanic walls to sand flats and rubble heaps.

For a first time trip - I'd say Bali-Komodo-Bali with a few extra days in Bali if you haven't been there is a great indoctrination. You get a lot of variety in your diving, you get to experience Bali, see the dragons, etc. Then, do Raja Ampats or N. Sulawesi as your next Indo trip.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks, I ended up deciding on Komodo because we're limited to a summer trip--son's in school--and that doesn't seem to be the season for Raja Ampat. We're booked on Bali-Komodo-Bima in August. We have five days at KBR in Lembeh before that. A question about the water. Just how cold is it? Do I need my 7mm suit, or will a 3mm with a hooded vest work. I get cold easily--I happily wore my 7mm in the 73 degree water we dove this past weekend. But I don't want to drag along more than necessary and the 7 definitely seems to heavy for Lembeh.

Some people do not react well to mosquito stings. Extreme itching results in extreme scratching... the air con room can greatly help reduce the level of bugs in the room so you get a decent nights rest ready for the next day of diving.

In Indonesia the site typically has a LOT of bugs in the evenings.

Then again some individuals do not attract any of these bugs at all.

So the air com advise needs to be relative to the individual.

Last Aug/Sep Komodo & Rinca Islands were 72-74 deg. Other dive sites were closer to 80 deg. KBR was about 80 deg. Wind made the boat ride back to the resort a bit chilly, so I wore a surfer hood.

reubencahn:
Thanks, I ended up deciding on Komodo because we're limited to a summer trip--son's in school--and that doesn't seem to be the season for Raja Ampat. We're booked on Bali-Komodo-Bima in August. We have five days at KBR in Lembeh before that. A question about the water. Just how cold is it? Do I need my 7mm suit, or will a 3mm with a hooded vest work. I get cold easily--I happily wore my 7mm in the 73 degree water we dove this past weekend. But I don't want to drag along more than necessary and the 7 definitely seems to heavy for Lembeh.

When I was there it was 82F in the north side of Komodo, but 76F in South Rinca, etc. I brought a 3mm full suit and a hooded vest and it worked out perfectly for me, though I had to pull the hood back 'cuz I hate wearing one unless I have to! I think the 7 mm may be a bit much, especially since you will only be in the south side part of the time. I was there in November, so am not sure if there is much of a difference in the summer for water temps. You'll love it. Don't miss out on the night dives. They are AMAZING! Lots of critters...but then again Lembeh from what I hear can't be beat for critters. "Pipe Dreams" in Horseshoe Bay and "Over There" in Padar Island were probably my 2 favorite night divers ever!

reubencahn:

We did Bali-Komodo-Bali in late Aug. - Sept. 03 on the Kararu. It's a lovely boat with a fantastic crew and the best diving I've ever done. Thanks to that trip, we can't wait to get back to Indonesia - we are going to Bunaken-Lembeh for 3 weeks in June.

I'm a total warm water wimp, who's been known to dive in my 5mm and hooded vest even in 80 degrees so YMMV. However, be warned that water temps around Komodo-Rinja that time of year can be pretty cool. Our coldest dive was 71 degrees on a night dive and I've heard that it can get down to 68. Most dives averaged 72-73 degrees although you'd occasionally get a warmer thermocline. I wore a skin, a 3mm, a hood and a 7mm shorty for all of the dives we did in Komodo and I got pretty chilled. My husband brought his 7mm and he was very happy he had done so. Another thing to consider is how long you'll be in Komodo. We were on the 7 day itinerary so we only spent 2.5 days in the colder water, then headed back into warmer water, but if you are on the longer trip, you'll spend 4 or 5 days there and will definitely be glad to have brought a heavier suit.

Another thing to consider is that I hear that the water temps in Lembeh are around 78 and it is muck diving, meaning that you don't usually cover much area, you instead tend to stay in a small area looking for neat critters. That means you get colder, so your 7mm might not be that bad of an idea for there. My husband is planning on bringing his.

reubencahn:

I dove Komodo/Rinca with a 3mm and brought along a 2mm vest (I hate hoods so it's hoodless) and it was fine. My 3mm is custom out of old stock Rubatex (not too stretchy, but it also doesn't compress as much at depth).

Lembeh Resort is newer, quite a few of the season guides for that area have defected to this resort.

KBR is world famous but old. Under going renovations and has new management.

I would prefer to stay at Lembeh Resort for more luxurious room and great guides trained by Bruce. They also recently got a new very seasoned guide called Andi from Derawan. Biggest dislike would be the steep climbs to your rooms nestled on the cliffs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom