Bunaken/Lembeh or Irian Jaya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm booked on Kararu for a 10 day Bali/Komodo/Bima trip in August of '05. I can squeeze out enough time for another week of diving while there. It looks like I can get to Manado and dive either Bunaken or Lembeh or both fairly easily and cheaply. Alternatively, I think I could get to Sorong and dive with Sorido Bay but with somewhat greater difficulty and probably twice the cost. Where should I go? It seems like the question answers itself except I don't expect to be back for at least a couple of years and I've heard such raves about Raja Ampat diving. If anyone has any advice about whether the extra expense and trouble of getting to Raja Ampat is worth it, I'd love to hear it.

reubencahn:
If anyone has any advice about whether the extra expense and trouble of getting to Raja Ampat is worth it, I'd love to hear it.

I’ve dived in Lembeh (plus a day in Bunaken) and can highly recommmend it. However, Oceanic Thailand organized a trip to Raja Ampat a couple of weeks ago - I didn’t go but have just seen the photos and the place looked amazing. Forests of soft corals, wobbygong sharks, huge schools of Devil rays, shallower dives in seagrass with lots of nudis and flatworms that I’ve never seen before, “upsidedown” jellyfish etc. I loved Lembeh but I’d pick Raja Ampat if I had the chance.

I have been to Raja Ampat several times this year - as well as Lembeh. Good corals and fish life in Raja Ampat areas - depends where you are. Would be be boat or land-based. For best use of time go to Lembeh. Logistics to Sorong almost always requires overnight in Manado or Makassar.

reubencahn:
I'm booked on Kararu for a 10 day Bali/Komodo/Bima trip in August of '05. I can squeeze out enough time for another week of diving while there. It looks like I can get to Manado and dive either Bunaken or Lembeh or both fairly easily and cheaply. Alternatively, I think I could get to Sorong and dive with Sorido Bay but with somewhat greater difficulty and probably twice the cost. Where should I go? It seems like the question answers itself except I don't expect to be back for at least a couple of years and I've heard such raves about Raja Ampat diving. If anyone has any advice about whether the extra expense and trouble of getting to Raja Ampat is worth it, I'd love to hear it.

I was in Lembeh and Bunaken end June this year. Both were incredible and you can easily combine the two over a week - I'd say 3 days in Bunaken and the rest in Lembeh, although I suppose it depends on the kind of diving that you like to do. Muck in Lembeh (but ohmygod...its more than just "muck", I had one of the best night dives EVER there, it was like being in a national geographic film) and wall diving in Bunaken....

Never been to Raja Amput so I couldn't comment. I stayed at Kungkunan Bay Resort in Lembeh and just cannot fault it....

A

I've decided to do Lembeh and possibly split with Bunaken or Bangka. The logistics and costs of diving Raja Ampat just don't work. Abopp, I was wondering how comfortable KBR was in light of no air conditioning. Was it cool enough to get a good night's rest? Also, has anyone out there stayed on Bangka?

Some KBR rooms have air conditioning.

reubencahn:
I've decided to do Lembeh and possibly split with Bunaken or Bangka. The logistics and costs of diving Raja Ampat just don't work. Abopp, I was wondering how comfortable KBR was in light of no air conditioning. Was it cool enough to get a good night's rest? Also, has anyone out there stayed on Bangka?

Some of the rooms have a/c but its not needed at all - its absolutely fine without and, because of the position of the resort, you get a great sea breeze. Honestly, it was one of the nicest places that I stayed when I was away (and I dived around SE Asia for 3 months...). The food is also amazing....

On Bunaken, I stayed with Two Fish Divers, who were ok but no hot water, which I find really hard if I'm doing multiple dives a day. I think you need a bit of warm water when you've been in (relatively!) cold water all day!

Good luck - hope you enjoy it. If you book with KBR, try to get Ben as your DM - he's AMAZING and just soooooooo enthusiastic and good at what he does!

A

I've actually dove with Kararu on both the Bali-Komodo-Bali run and the Raja Ampat trip. I was on their first trip ever and then on their second Raja Ampat trip. I thinkn overall the Bali-Komodo-Bima trip will give you more varied diving. Cannibal Rock off of Rinca is one of the best dives in the world, and there are other dives on that trip that are incredible. Expect strong currents in places, some areas wrecked by dynamite fishing, but other areas that are incredibly lush, full of life, etc. One of the interesting things about that area is that the cold-water upwellings actually add to the diversity. More nudibranchs in one dive on a black volcanic wall than I've ever seen before. Raja Ampat on the other hand is incredibly beautiful. Topside, the scenery is the prettiest I've ever seen, even beat Morovo Lagoon in the Solomons and Palau. Underwater - the amount of fish, soft corals, crinoids is astounding. On one particular dive, I saw more soft coral in a lengthy cut than I thought possible - and all different hues. And, crinoids living on crinoids living on crinoids - all different colors. Good for wobegongs, bamboo sharks, and clouds of fish. The underwater topography is all the same though - sloping walls to about 120'. Not nearly the invertebrate life you get on the Komodo trip either, and the vis isn't as good. The trips are different - if you want sheer variety of dive sites and you're into critters and macro, Komodo is better. If you want lush beauty and the feeling of virgin diving and aren't so much concerned about lots of critters and variety - Raja Ampats can't be beat. The Sea Safari is a great boat with a great crew - good food too. Say hello to Tony, Lisa and Sascha for me.

Only problem with kararu is they don't do Tatawan Kechil and Batu Balong anymore and those 2 sites are wonderful when done at the right time.

scubashooter:
Only problem with kararu is they don't do Tatawan Kechil and Batu Balong anymore and those 2 sites are wonderful when done at the right time.

Why don't they do these sites? Is it worth asking to go there? Also, for Lembeh, do you have a preference between Lembeh Resort and KBR?

Back
Top Bottom