Bunaken/Lembeh or Irian Jaya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn:
I've decided to do Lembeh and possibly split with Bunaken or Bangka. The logistics and costs of diving Raja Ampat just don't work. Abopp, I was wondering how comfortable KBR was in light of no air conditioning. Was it cool enough to get a good night's rest? Also, has anyone out there stayed on Bangka?

For an extra little something (added gasoline cost and food) you can go on a daytrip from Bunaken to Bangka and still do a couple of dives there. I don't know if they arrange sleep-overs but wouldn't be surprised. Usually such things can be negotiated. Local non-diving fishermen or resortowners will take you there as well - possibly at lower cost - but at added risk of course. Do bargain.

Enjoy

On Bunaken, I stayed with Two Fish Divers, who were ok but no hot water, which I find really hard if I'm doing multiple dives a day. I think you need a bit of warm water when you've been in (relatively!) cold water all day!

A[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you'll get a warm shover anywhere on Bunaken ;o). In some of the resorts the coldwater ones are of such basic design that I think it's mostly a status symbol in the eyes of the locals (and it does serve for marketing purposes I suppose).

I've lived there for a total of four months and to me nothing beats the ol' freshwater bucket. Just have all the water changed every third day or so and rinse the bucket or have them do it for you (That farty algae smell lurks beneath the thermocline).

It's a basic place. Lovely and basic.

Still I showered for four hours at Singapore airport on the way back and it was great. A final tip: Don't pig out on cheesecake if you've been on a wahoo and rice diet for months. Civilisation can be hard to handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom