BULLETS OVER BAJA: Attack Yields Grave Consequences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you were poor peasant living in Mexico would you rather jump the border or fight the mexican mafia? It is easy for us on this side of the border to say "It's there country, their problem" but if any one of us happened to be born in Mexico we would be looking for a way out.

I agree with this. If any of us were in the same zapatos, we'd probably run for the border to survive and feed our families. For many, it's the survival path of least resistance.

Helping them get their economy going would hhave multiple benefits to include making an environment that would make it less necessary for them to sneak in here.

I agree, but we are trying. Many jobs from the states have gone to Mexico--- NAFTA. We also give them billions in aid.

I'm sure, if it weren't for corruption, their poor would be better taken care of and less likely to come across the border. But, in California alone, we offer illegals much more than their own government. There are a lot of incentives to sneak across with little to no repercussions for getting caught.

I agree, but we are trying. Many jobs from the states have gone to Mexico--- NAFTA. We also give them billions in aid.

I'm sure, if it weren't for corruption, their poor would be better taken care of and less likely to come across the border. But, in California alone, we offer illegals much more than their own government. There are a lot of incentives to sneak across with little to no repercussions for getting caught.

Exactomundo.

But, in California alone, we offer illegals much more than their own government. There are a lot of incentives to sneak across with little to no repercussions for getting caught.

Idaho doesn't allow state worker to ask imigration status when determining eligibility for aide. I would think that cutting off the public teat for illegals would be the place to start.

hahaha.....That was all too easy. Thanks. I was afraid my daily entertainment reading this thread had come to an end.

:popcorn:

hahaha.....That was all too easy. Thanks. I was afraid my daily entertainment reading this thread had come to an end.

:popcorn:

:D The flavor of this thread has changed...

Just a matter of time before Sam brings it back to the original topic.

:D The flavor of this thread has changed...

Just a matter of time before Sam brings it back to the original topic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for the invite...

However, I am waiting for our leader CASA (home in Spanish) to tell us how he takes his gentle loving wife and child to the war zone called TJ which is perfectly safe according to Casa, so they can do the tourist thing while he pounds nails to build homes for the Mexicanos while just a very few miles away Americanos are having their homes repo-ed at an ever increasing rapid rate...

Something is wrong with this activity..

sdm

...I just got back last weekend. No one was killed, kidnapped or injured....

Dave,...What does your dear wife and son think of TJ? do they enjoy going there as much as you? Did they enjoy last week end?

Dave, dear Dave

You appear to be avoiding the questions;

~~~What does your dear wife and son think of TJ?

~~~Did they accompany you there on your last trip to TJ?

Dr. SAM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for the invite...

However, I am waiting for our leader CASA (home in Spanish) to tell us how he takes his gentle loving wife and child to the war zone called TJ which is perfectly safe according to Casa, so they can do the tourist thing while he pounds nails to build homes for the Mexicanos while just a very few miles away Americanos are having their homes repo-ed at an ever increasing rapid rate...

Something is wrong with this activity..

sdm

I’m sorry Sam for the tardy reply, I’ve been on vacation, diving in Hawaii!

OK Sam, Here goes. First, my son is a grown man with a family of his own (my avatar is my grandson). And yes, he and his wife have gone with me on several trips. Second my lovely bride of 32 years has traveled to Tijuana with me many times as well and does not worry about my safety anymore that she would if I was going to Chicago, New York or Salt Lake City.

Despite your efforts to be cynical coupled with a touch of overreaction, Tijuana is as safe as any large city in the US. While I’m not suggesting that you visit Avenida Revolution late at night by yourself, I am telling you and others that, AS A TOURIST, visiting Tijuana is no big deal.

There are some people who believe everything they read in the paper or see on the television news, many are lined up at the IndyMac bank right now worried they will lose their checking accounts. I saw one old fart in line whining that he had been in line for hours and was sure he would never see his 23K anymore. I guess because he said so on TV, it must be true.

Who do I have to bribe to get this thread closed? It has come to personal attacks on members regarding the way they chose to raise there adult children. This is pathetic.

Quote CASA

"....my lovely bride of 32 years has traveled to Tijuana with me many times as well and does not worry about my safety anymore that she would if I was going to Chicago, New York or Salt Lake City...."

"Despite your efforts to be cynical coupled with a touch of overreaction, Tijuana is as safe as any large city in the US. While I’m not suggesting that you visit Avenida Revolution late at night by yourself, I am telling you and others that, AS A TOURIST, visiting Tijuana is no big deal."

That darn US government ....

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Bureau of Consular Affairs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information is current as of today, wed Jul 16 2008.

Mexico

April 14, 2008

This Travel Alert updates information for U.S. citizens on security situations in Mexico that may affect their activities while in that country. This supersedes the Travel Alert for Mexico dated October 24, 2007, and expires on October 15, 2008.

Violence Along The U.S.-Mexico Border
-------------------------------------

Violent criminal activity fueled by a war between criminal organizations struggling for control of the lucrative narcotics trade continues along the U.S.-Mexico border. Attacks are aimed primarily at members of drug trafficking organizations, Mexican police forces, criminal justice officials, and journalists. However, foreign visitors and residents, including Americans, have been among the victims of homicides and kidnappings in the border region. In its effort to combat violence, the government of Mexico has deployed military troops in various parts of the country. U.S. citizens are urged to cooperate with official checkpoints when traveling on Mexican highways.

Recent Mexican army and police force conflicts with heavily-armed narcotics cartels have escalated to levels equivalent to military small-unit combat and have included use of machine guns and fragmentation grenades. Confrontations have taken place in numerous towns and cities in northern Mexico, including Tijuana in the Mexican state of Baja California, and Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez in the state of Chihuahua. The situation in northern Mexico remains very fluid; the location and timing of future armed engagements there cannot be predicted.

Armed robberies and carjackings, apparently unconnected to the narcotics-related violence, have increased in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. >>>>Dozens of U.S. citizens were kidnapped and/or murdered in Tijuana in 2007. Public shootouts have occurred during daylight hours near shopping areas.

Criminals are armed with a wide array of sophisticated weapons. In some cases, assailants have worn full or partial police or military uniforms and have used vehicles that resemble police vehicles.

U.S. citizens are urged to be especially alert to safety and security concerns when visiting the border region. While Mexican citizens overwhelmingly are the victims of these crimes, this uncertain security situation poses risks for U.S. citizens as well. Thousands of U.S. citizens cross the border safely each day, exercising common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas of border towns during daylight hours. It is strongly recommended that travelers avoid areas where prostitution and drug dealing occur.
Criminals have followed and harassed U.S. citizens traveling in their vehicles, particularly in border areas including Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Tijuana. There is no evidence, however, that U.S. citizens are targeted because of their nationality.

U.S. citizen victims of crime in Mexico are urged to contact the consular section of the nearest U.S. consulate or Embassy for advice and assistance.

FYI

About one and a half years ago on Calle International, the street that parallel the US border Mrs Miller and I were involved in a Mexican Police shoot out in the middle of the day. Mrs. Miller was driving - She slammed on the brakes, some how shut of the engine. I grabbed her covered her body with mine as the battle ragged on the street a few feet away After what seemed like eternity and the exchange of a number of rounds an individual was apprehended. After the individual was securely in custody the Mexican Police did not demonstrate the restraint of the Americans law enforcement authorities

Every one including my wife immediately started their engines and departed the scene ...For the Mexicans another day at the office... for us a cardiac event. It was not fun!

Who do I have to bribe to get this thread closed? It has come to personal attacks on members regarding the way they chose to raise there adult children. This is pathetic.
It's a classic popcorn thread. :popcorn: One of those threads you check in on from time to time just to see how far an ego can drive people in an online forum. There seems to be no real goal attempting to be reached here, no ideal being debated, and there is no interest from either party in reaching a consensus. Mexico is safe. No it's not yes it is no it's not :deadhorse:

This thread appears as though it has taken on a life of it's own with the participants. GO to the store, do a little work around the yard, and oh yeah lob a few grenades at that guy hassling me in that thread. Both of the major players are correct in their perspectives as those perspectives relate to themselves. Neither will ever budge the other away from their respective positions. So ... with all do respect to both parties involved, I just sit back and -->:popcorn:

as I watch this --> :trainwreck:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom