BULLETS OVER BAJA: Attack Yields Grave Consequences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

by
Scott Bass

Pat retells his story beside the smashed window in his RV.

On Tuesday, October 23 Pat Weber, a 48-year-old San Diego surfer and his girlfriend (name withheld) were robbed at gun point and the girlfriend was sexually assaulted on the bluffs near Cuatras Casas in the Colonet region of northern Baja, Mexico, according to a first-hand account of the incident by Weber.

The surfer denied the two men permission to come into his RV and the perpetrators fired numerous rounds of bullets into the vehicle. - Discuss this event on the messageboards.

According to Weber, an hour after sunset, two men wearing ski masks, dark clothing, and brandishing handguns pounded on the surfers RV door and demanded entry. The surfer denied the two men permission to come into his RV and the perpetrators fired numerous rounds of bullets into the vehicle. The surfer and his girlfriend, fearing for their lives lay on the floor of the RV as glass and debris rained down on them.

According to the surfers' account, the two men eventually gained access when Weber, fearing for his life, opened the RV. The perpetrators led the surfer out of his RV and onto his knees where he was held with a gun pointed to the back of his head by one of the perpetrators. The other masked man ransacked the RV loading up a suitcase with thousands of dollars worth of possessions, including laptops, camera equipment, tools, and $460 in cash.

Weber's girlfriend was found hiding and led out of the RV and onto her knees, next to her boyfriend. She was then forced at gunpoint to perform oral copulation on both of the masked men. The perpetrators then fled on foot, according to the surfer. Weber and his girlfriend drove to Ensenada and spent 10 hours with Ensenada Police, attorneys, and interpreters.

Weber, whose company offers Baja adventure tours, is a well-versed Baja traveler logging more than 300 trips to the region over the past 15 years. He estimates his company has brought over $100K in economic benefit to the region. Those days are done. "I'll never go to Baja again. I'm over it," said Weber. "I love the place, there are very good people down there, but it's just not worth it."

Add another chapter to a horrific series of incidents since the Labor Day holiday; another Baja surf trip gone horribly wrong.

On Labor Day of this year, three San Diego surfers were pulled over in Tijuana and carjacked at gunpoint. The same weekend, according to a website focused on traveling within Baja (BajaNomad.com) an American fisherman was accosted and robbed on the toll road near the Tijuana beaches. A few weeks later, according to an an Internet report (and various word-of-mouth recountings) a surfer and his girlfriend were pulled from their tents along the bluffs south of Cuatras Casas and robbed of everything except their pillows. A few weeks later, according to a first hand report from one of the victims (a local Encinitas surfer), three cars full of San Diego surfing buddies were robbed of $1,200 on their way to San Juanico after driving into an early morning road block (in the same region as the other Tijuana robberies). Other similar stories are now finding their way onto Baja travel websites, forums, and blogs. Most surfers in SoCal know somebody who knows somebody that has experienced this increased level of lawlessness in Baja. The $60 TJ cop shakedown has morphed into a larger beast. This is not your Father's Baja. Things have gotten out of hand way out of hand.

But why? There are some determining factors that can be pointed to. With the notorious Arellano Felix brothers (of the one-time reigning Arellano Felix drug cartel) locked up for life in the U.S. prison system, a power vacuum exists along the border, according to one anonymous source within the California Department of Justice's Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement. Drug cartels, highly-trained (by the USA's CIA and Israel's Mossad according to the source) para-military gangs (Google La Zeta Baja Gang), and street-level hoodlums are all vying for recognition, authority, and street credibility. "It's like the wild west," said the source. "All the bad guys are trying to one-up each other and there is no real authority, legitimate or otherwise, to temper the situation."

Add to this the explosion of methamphetamines, both its use and production, in northern Baja. Meth factories in the US, for the most part, are non-existent, according to the source. Drug cartels in Mexico have taken over the market place. Combine the king-of-the-hill power grab with the stir-crazy nature of methamphetamine's effects and its meteoric rise in production and use may explain why Baja violence has become so brazen and ruthless. Another factor, according to the source, is the increasing number of Central American gangsters filtering up from El Salvador and beyond.

"It's a very bad and serious stew that is brewing along the border and especially in Baja," said the source. "Let me put it this way: I know what is going on down there, and I won't go down there. No way."

The bottom line seems to be this: When we as surfers cross the border into Tijuana, we lose everything. All of our U.S. rights are gone. But because Baja is so close to us, both geographically and, as surfers, subculturally, we romantically expect U.S. levels of security, of justice, and of authority to blanket us. Many mistakenly have an "it won't happen to me" mentality. But when you cross that border line, well, you cross that line.

......The bottom line seems to be this: When we as surfers cross the border into Tijuana, we lose everything. All of our U.S. rights are gone. .......
ummmmm thats why they call it a border :wink:

ive been hearing about the bandits since the late 1990's but Baja is still on my MUST do list and i hope to make it happen 2010

cheers

My Family just bought a condo in Puerto Nuevo. There is a lot of development down there currently and I would think that it would bring some aspect of safety if the place gets flooded by united states-ians. 4 10 story towers on one beach is somewhat turning Puerto Nuevo into a resort style town. I wonder where most of the robberies are happening, it sounds farther south except for the TJ ones. I guess time will only tell as cliche as that sounds.

Billy

That is horrible, don't know what to say aside from that (especially the sexual assault part of the 1st incident listed).

This reminds me of what some police officers in Arizona were telling me about Indian Reservations. They are obviously all over and have roads running through them that people need to travel to get to and from wherever they need to go. I guess these main roads are considered as part of the state but if you pull off on the shoulder or go off road (exploring or doing offroading I guess) you are on the indian reservation. What the officers were telling me and some friends was that it is common for groups or gangs from the reservation to basically rob and beat any outsiders they find on their land. Even if you just pull off on the shoulder for whatever reason (flat tire? lost?), they will take everything you have and beat you to a pulp and there is little the state can do about it. Anyhow, I'm not sure how often this happens but it is scary to think about (and I'm not generalizing this to all native americans or anything like that).

I guess the moral of the story is know the risks, dangers, and laws of an area before going anywhere. That, and take whatever available precautions that you can.

It is easy to assume that you are safe and/or protected when you may really not be.

Again, it is horrible what happened to the couple with the RV (and other stories mentioned). Still, you would think that with 300 trips to the region over 15 years they would know that this sort of phenomenon is prevalent (at least it appears so based on the other stories) and would have been better suited to avoid it. Maye not, I really don't know. Sometimes there is not much you can do.

As far as the Indian Reservations are concerned, there is little the state can do, but you are still protected under federal law. What you are speaking of is just a jurisdictional issue. There is still a lot that can be done if you report the crime to the proper authorities.

I grew up going down into Baja and having great times in Ensenada and Rosarita. Wouldn't go now if you paid me to. I might pop into a resort town off a cruise ship, or fly into Loretto or Cabo for some diving, but drive and camp? Not without my own arsenal.

That is very disheartening news. However, with well over 200 trips to Tijuana and other Baja communities, this sort of violence is really no difference than what happens everyday in SoCal. It becomes newsworthy because it happens so infrequently. I doubt you are any safer driving or around Los Angeles.

The vast majority of people in Mexico are simply wonderful, fun loving and very giving. Even the poorest among them would give you the shirt of their back if you asked for it.

The police have been a problem since there were police in Tijuana and tourists visiting, drinking and causing all kinds of havoc. In my many trips I have been pulled over twice. Once I paid the mordita (little bite, bribe)once and on the second stop I told the officer to give me a ticket. He insisted on the bite, I insisted on the ticket. He threaten me with jail and impounding, I told him to just give me the ticket. He finally gave me a stern warning and left.

I have no plans to change my Tijuana visits, I’m just careful and follow their laws and customs.

It's not just the Vandals and criminals! When I was 20 I went down to TJ with some friends, parked on the US side and took a bus over. As I was attempting to enter a club, the first one of the night, someone ran up and grabbed my ID out of my had and ran off with it. Needless to say I had no ID and the guy wouldn't let me in even though I was handing it to him when it got stolen.

So I decided to take a cab back to the border and wait for my friends in my car on US soil. The cab driver took me through all these back streets that were not lit and tried to sell me ecstasy. I refused and thought he was going to kill me and leave my body on the side of the road. Luckily I'm still here today but our very own border patrol is not to thank for that. As I was walking over the border I was stopped and was asked for ID. There was a group of about 20 people in front of me and none of them were stopped. Obviously I didn't have my ID but had credit cards, school ID's, and other forms. They interrogated me for 6 hours in a dark room before letting me go. It was a nightmare. They asked me where I was born, I told them St. Josephs in Burbank and they didn't believe Burbank was a city in LA.

If you've ever met me before you know what I look like and I have no accent. It was a horrible night.

So I say fear not the vandals and criminals! Fear our very own border patrol agents! They strike fear in the heart of this US Citizen.

Billy

Why would anyone go into Mexico, go through the back country in an RV with only a girlfriend and not carry some kind of self defense item at least well hidden in the RV. 200 trips? Can't tell me they don't know as many back ways in as the coyotes. A .44 mag is a great deterrent. And nobody would even bother to look for the bodies. Why did he not just start up the vehicle and take off? I know I was not there but how hard would it be to climb into the drivers area, turn the key, and floor it. Better than allowing scum to do what they did. This is why we need more Border Patrol agents to close the border and keep these scum from crossing over. Best advice is unless you go somewhre populous or well armed, stay out of third world countries. A wave or dive is not worth a life or the assault of a family member. Why is the so-called mexican goverment not doing more? They know the problem is there. How hard would it be to find and kill this trash? A new breed of terrorist. No need to waste money on prison. Find em, try em, and hang em. And why would you not call some dirtbag who stole your ID a criminal?

A .44 mag is a great deterrent.

Mexican jails are a great deterrent to .44 magnums. I've traveled to Mexico for years, and things are really going downhill there, FAST. The more the govt tries to crack down, the more the thugs seem to step it up. I'll still go down, but I travel during the daytime, and do not camp in remote areas any more, all in all not nearly as much fun as it used to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom