Bull Shoals - GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a couple trips planned for Bull Shoals in 2007 and was wondering if anybody has a list of GPS coordinates for this lake of things to see. I'm thinking about getting a GPS, but before I make the plunge (no pun intended) wanted to know how effective one would be. My dive party dove this lake a couple times with a map from the dive shop and found it somewhat difficult to find the things listed on the map. I'm thinking GPS might be the answer.

If anybody has a list of GPS markings with a description of what is there, I would be most appreciative. Heck, if this works out, I might be able to talk my wife who designs websites into making a website dedicated to listing this type of information for all muckers to enjoy.

S. Nagel

Several dive shops that frequently dive Table Rock and Beaver have listed the GPS coordinates of a number of the more popular dives (and they keep some secret) on their websites. There might be something similar for Bull Shoals already.

I carry my little Garmin eTrex with me diving everywhere and keep a log of all the dive sites I hit. For some of the sites on TR, it’s almost impossible to drop right on them without a GPS to find them a 2nd time.

Nagel, look on our site for a map..maybe you have seen it already, but there are some sites on it! Lake Diver Site

Be warned when it comes to Bull Shoals, be aware of Point Number 5. It is a shallow rocky area and boats and mostly Jet Skis run up on to it with bad results.

Secondly, be wary of GPS coordinates there from local dive shops etc. Some of them are wild goose chases. I spent nearly a day looking for a sunken cruiser only to find a small plastic ship on a pile of rocks. They may think it is funny but I don't. Table Rock has real dive sites, Bull Shoals may or may not.

N

You'll be in Arkansas at Bull Shoals, so be sure to take your diver down float/marker.

You now have Mike's contact info from Sho-Me Scuba, so feel free to use it. In fact, if you check his calendar on the website, you might be able to hit a weekend that he's already planning on going to Bull Shoals and schedule to go along with him that way you have guided boat access to sites.

We've got some interesting dives for Table Rock that need to be accomplished next season. One is a mapping dive for some strange steel doors off Jake's Point at about 100 ft. The other is an anchor retrieval party in a very low-vis cove (lots and lots of lost anchors there).

We will also be doing some video/still work at Beaver Lake during the DUI event at the cove w/ the helicopter, planes, boats, mopeds, etc. I'm on the hunt for the manequins this year.

Back
Top Bottom