Bull Sharks in Playa Del Carmen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is common knowledge that Phantom Divers are the primary dive shop responsible for feeding the bull sharks. Many users of this board will NOT support this operator and do not recommend them to others. We had a thread this past spring and the general concern is not for the divers but for the devastating repercussions to the tourist industry as a whole. A 'shark attack' involving a swimmer could destroy the appeal that this area has to vacationers in general. This area depends 100% on the people that flock to 'paradise' to escape the cold. This would be destroyed with just one incident because few things get more press than shark attacks. I understand that visibility is a factor, but it is not uncommon for a couple times a year, for the visibility to actually be poor following a storm. The bull sharks are within close proximity to the beach where sail boards and other floatation devices are regularly used. Common sense dictates 'DO NOT FEED THE BULLS'.

We had a thread this past spring and the general concern is not for the divers but for the devastating repercussions to the tourist industry as a whole. A 'shark attack' involving a swimmer could destroy the appeal that this area has to vacationers in general. This area depends 100% on the people that flock to 'paradise' to escape the cold. This would be destroyed with just one incident because few things get more press than shark attacks.

You bring to my mind the question of is the gamble worth the risk? Considering on the one hand the extra potential income of the shark dives versus the tremendous loss of income of the result of a shark attack. I wonder if 5-10 years of additional shark dive income to the area would offset the length of time it would take for the area to recover financially from the downturn in visitors a shark attack would cause?

Although the dive industry is integral to the PDC area it is not the only tourist attraction. The beautiful beaches and AI resorts draw a lot more than people than just divers. Many also believe that feeding sharks under any circumstances is wrong. I have been on the Bahamas shark dive that including 'chumming' with the Blackbeard's live-aboard and I enjoyed it. The circumstances are clearly different. A days sail from shore on the Bahama Banks is not similar to within a stones throw of one of the most popular beaches in Mexico.

Hi,

I am an O.W.D, so please appreciate my view is balanced.

I decided just to let you know the current Sharkie activity. I am now a keen Kiteboarder in P.D.C. I had a close experience a few days ago, which I was blissfully unaware of until later. I fell at one point, and was dragging through the water back to my board a few hundred metres offshore. My friend was towing the advertising Banner overhead, and to my surprise circled me then carried on. I found out later he was a bit concerned I was about 100 Metres seaward of a 3 Metre Lemon Shark. He gets a great view and could tell the type by how 'fat' it was compared to the regular Bulls. He could tell the size as it was double my board length.

I am DEEPLY concerned about this 'chumming' practice. Obviously I don't like the idea of dragging around looking like a free lunch, or Sharks hanging around as opposed to doing their normal patrol of the whole reef system.

The shark in question continued it's cruise along, paid little attention to me I'm told, and long may it remain so. I will certainly be heading in promptly if I get any cuts, and also intend to carry a flare as a 'get-me-out-of-here' notice that someone might? pay attention to.

Just an awareness really:-

A, Yes we have Sharks as does all of the Caribbean, and I accept that I am in their back-yard, and I hope they don't get hunted down. (And there is no new horrific reason to hunt them down)

B, Chumming is the most stupid short-sighted earn-a-buck-practice. I hope those chumming are the first to find out, NOT their thrill-seeking customers, or me! From a very recent mail on another forum it appears they may get the idea, (A chummer just had his hand chewed) or just chain-mail gloves? :dork2:

C, It's a lot more satisfying to stumble across one of these amazing creatures in the distance that is equally fearful of you, and heading in the opposite direction.

Sincerely,

Colin

The extreme Playa del Carmen Scuba Diving experience for certified divers who want to experience the most thrilling dive, From November to March the Bull Sharks visit us to spend the winter before they migrate north.

There are currently two sites where we dive with the sharks. You will dive either the combination of “Shark Wall” and “Shark Sand ” At either location you will encounter a gathering of Bull sharks on a consistent basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom