Built my BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCDdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I built my BP/W yesterday and dove it in the pool. I was checking my buoyancy while wearing a 7mm farmer john and wow was I head heavy. I had to use 16lbs. to get down and as long as I was swimming I was fine but when I stopped my legs would float up. I've never had this problem before so it was somewhat frustrating. After a while of swimming around in the wet suit I decided to strip down to my shorts and give it a whirl. It was a pleasant surprise I didn't need any weight and it surprisingly the BP/W wasn't uncomfortable without an exposure suit.

JCDdiver:
So I built my BP/W yesterday and dove it in the pool. I was checking my buoyancy while wearing a 7mm farmer john and wow was I head heavy. I had to use 16lbs. to get down and as long as I was swimming I was fine but when I stopped my legs would float up. I've never had this problem before so it was somewhat frustrating. After a while of swimming around in the wet suit I decided to strip down to my shorts and give it a whirl. It was a pleasant surprise I didn't need any weight and it surprisingly the BP/W wasn't uncomfortable without an exposure suit.
With the BP/W, you can move the wings around. Shift the wings UP (use a lower hole) to help floaty feet. May help you shed some weight to when trim is right

I have never had floaty feet. but I sink like a stone when I swim... Anyway-that is what is great about the BP/W. It is very adjustable to the individual diver.

It is also very comfortable without a suit on. I have done it many times.

Do not be discouraged if you adjust it many times over the next 10 or so dives. I did. Now it is like I am practically BCless when diving.

Have fun!

shifting the wing up or down helps with trim when there's gas in the wing - in particular, it can help counteract how the tanks' balance shifts as it or they go from full to empty. however, you still need to trim out even when the wing is empty (and hence doesn't affect anything), so to that end you can move the plate itself (and hence the whole rig) up or down by adjusting the shoulder straps.

i also use negatively buoyant jetfins which shifts my weight down and makes trim easy to control by moving my feet. if i push my feet out then i become bottom heavy, if i pull my feet in then i become top heavy.

You mention a 7mm farmer john. This means cold water. Were you wearing your hood when you did this pool test? That will affect your trim somewhat by adding "lift" at your head.

Are your fins negative or positive?

Vicente:
You mention a 7mm farmer john. This means cold water. Were you wearing your hood when you did this pool test? That will affect your trim somewhat by adding "lift" at your head.

I went back to the pool put on my hood and gloves and slid my tank down a bit and it was better. However if I remained still long enough my feet would get above my head.

dhampton82:
Are your fins negative or positive?

My fins are negative.

Body positioning can help as well. I had floaty feet when I went to doubles, I did a mini-workshop with a local instructor about 10 dives into them. We found that if I unbent my knees just a bit, I'd be less floaty in the feet. So, assuming you are in a horizontal, prone position, try stretching out a bit.

Also, mess around with hands as well, move them into and away from your head, that may help a bit. It actually sounds like you aren't too far off, a few pool sessions and you'll nail things.

Just be glad that your not like me and almost kicking your self in the back of the head trying to keep you feet from sinking

Back
Top Bottom